Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 20, 2012

I was unaware that membership entitles us to the web hosting service until this morning. I have just spent half an hour trying to set up an email account to see how it works and have had to give up, frustrated and rather annoyed. When I try to configure an account, it tells me to log in to the hosting page, but won't accept my usual proz login and password. I feel I've already spent enough time on this, but am sure I must be missing something elementary, like the right place to click on... or ... See more
I was unaware that membership entitles us to the web hosting service until this morning. I have just spent half an hour trying to set up an email account to see how it works and have had to give up, frustrated and rather annoyed. When I try to configure an account, it tells me to log in to the hosting page, but won't accept my usual proz login and password. I feel I've already spent enough time on this, but am sure I must be missing something elementary, like the right place to click on... or maybe I need to set up a new login and password for the hosting/webmail service?

I usually only use free webmail (yahoo and gmail) and they both took me about 5 minutes each to get up and running, so this morning's wasted efforts make me feel rather silly. So my basic question is: is there any way a techno-dunce like myself can get simple, step-by-step, idiot-proof instructions (not FAQs) on how to set up at least one proz email account without it taking me all day?
Collapse

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:04
Greek to English
In memoriam
Domain May 20, 2012

You need to register and pay for a domain name first (you can do it via Proz's partner, at a very reasonable rate).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thought it was already set up May 20, 2012

Dave Bindon wrote:

You need to register and pay for a domain name first (you can do it via Proz's partner, at a very reasonable rate).

OK, thanks for that. What I read and understood this morning was that "this standard package is already available free to members" which I though meant it was "good-to-go". If I have to pay or faff about filling in more forms and ticking boxes, I won't bother. As it stands, I apparently have the following profile:

Domain: neilmac.my.proz.com
Package: Standard
Username: neilmac
Mail server: mail.neilmac.my.proz.com
FTP server: ftp.neilmac.my.proz.com

[Control panel] [Web site] [Webmail]
[ProZ.com SiteCreator™]

So do I STILL have to go and register with another entity, eg. Proz's partner? Sorry if I seem dense here, but I am just not used to jumping thru so many hoops to open an email account or register with a website.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My hosting May 20, 2012

Yes, you do need to set up a separate login and password for your web/e-mail hosting.

Follow these simple getting started instructions: (but do read on at the bottom for further info!)

Getting started with ProZ.com Hosting

• Signing up
• Your domain name
• Accessing your control panel
• Creating and uploading your web pages
• Using Microsoft Front Page
• Accessing your email
• Further resources
... See more
Yes, you do need to set up a separate login and password for your web/e-mail hosting.

Follow these simple getting started instructions: (but do read on at the bottom for further info!)

Getting started with ProZ.com Hosting

• Signing up
• Your domain name
• Accessing your control panel
• Creating and uploading your web pages
• Using Microsoft Front Page
• Accessing your email
• Further resources

Signing up

If you are a full platinum member, you can sign up for ProZ.com hosting from the hosting info page http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info . During the sign-up process, you will select a username and password for your hosting account. You will need these to access various features of your account. Save the welcome email you receive shortly after signing up for later reference; it contains your username and password, as well as links to helpful hosting resources.

Substitute your own username, password, or domain name as appropriate in the sections that follow.

Your domain name [Note: this is not obligatory!]

New domains and transfers generally take 24 to 48 hours to be entered into the nameserver database. Transfers from a different registrar can take up to one week.

When you signed up for your account, if you chose to register a new domain name through ProZ.com or to use a subdomain of my.proz.com, then you need take no further action. In a few days you will be able to manage your domain information from your hosting info page.

If you chose to transfer a domain name to ProZ.com or use a different domain registrar, then you will need to enter the following information at your domain registrar in order to point your domain to your new hosting servers:
Primary nameserver: NS1.HOST.PROZ.COM 207.127.117.54
Secondary nameserver: NS2.HOST.PROZ.COM 207.127.117.55

Your registrar should be able to help you update your domain's DNS information.

See the domain name howto for more information about domains.

Accessing your control panel

Your control panel allows you to manage most features of your hosting account using a simple web-browser-based interface. A full list of control panel options, with information about their use, is available in the control panel documentation.

You can access your control panel by typing h1.host.proz.com/cpanel in the address bar of your browser. Once your domain registration or transfer has taken place, you may instead access your control panel by typing www.yourdomain.com/cpanel (replacing yourdomain.com with your own domain name). You can find a link to your control panel on your hosting info page.

Creating and uploading your web pages

This section assumes that you will not be using Microsoft Front Page to design and publish your site. If you are planning to use Front Page, please skip to the next section.

The most common way to design a web site is to first create and test it on your local computer. A large number of software packages are available which are designed to make this process as easy as possible, for both beginners and experts. Many of these programs are available free of charge and some of the best are reviewed and rated at the Tucows and Download.com shareware web sites.

Once you are ready to copy your site onto the Internet, you can upload it using FTP (File Transfer Protocol). Nearly all web design programs, with the exception of Microsoft Frontpage, use FTP to upload your pages to your web site. Some have their own built in FTP program while others require you to use a separate, stand-alone FTP program to upload your web pages.

If your web design program has a built in FTP program, enter the following information in the program's FTP configuration dialog:
Remote directory: /public_html
Host name: ftp.yourdomain.com (substitute your domain for yourdomain.com)
Username: your hosting username
Password: your hosting password

Tony continues:
Note that you are not in any way obliged to buy a domain name, unless you want a personalized name; otherwise, you can just use the Pro.com one.

I did this in a very short time, I think your only real problem was that you didn't read the sintructions that tell you you need to set up a fresh log-in just for this!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No you DON'T! May 20, 2012

neilmac wrote:

So do I STILL have to go and register with another entity, eg. Proz's partner?

You only need to register with them (or any number of other domaine name providers) if you specifically want a personalized domain name.

The facilities are already set up, you just need to create the new log-in to access them.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wood for the trees May 20, 2012

Tony M wrote:

neilmac wrote:

So do I STILL have to go and register with another entity, eg. Proz's partner?

You only need to register with them (or any number of other domaine name providers) if you specifically want a personalized domain name.

The facilities are already set up, you just need to create the new log-in to access them.

Cheers Tony, that explains it for me. I wasn't really bothered about setting up a domain or website, but an extra email account is always handy so I might try that right now and see how I get on.

Thanks for the info - I usually find that this kind of thing is what is missing on many internet sites - the simplest, most basic steps, stuff that must seem so obvious to most users.

[Edited at 2012-05-20 17:32 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:04
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
ProZ email May 21, 2012

If you only want email and are not bothered about a website, you can get that from http://proz.mail.everyone.net/email/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hosting service / mail accounts

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »