Where can you get Vinay & Darbelnet's transposition tool?
Thread poster: Adolpho J Silva

Adolpho J Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:48
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2004

Could anyone pls advise where you can get Vinay & Darbelnet's transposition tool ? I've checked both Altavista and Google, but you only get a host of URLS featuring articles, comments, etc.on the subject, but you get no indication as to where the tool can actually be obtained/downloaded. Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-08-10 18:30]

avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:48
English to French
+ ...
I ain't sure but... Aug 11, 2004

I would say it's not a "tool" as in a software: it's a theory, it's a mechanism of translation.

I have Vinay & Darbelnet's book (Stylistique comparée du français et de l'anglais) and yes, "transposition" is explained.

Using your knowledge of that theory, you can apply it to your daily translation life.

But I have never heard of any software by them... especially since their work dates from the 1950's-1970's. If such a software exists, it would have been created by somebody else than them!

Good luckicon_smile.gif

Brazil
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thansk for your info. How could I get a copy of the book you mention ? Thanks for your help. Aug 11, 2004

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

I would say it's not a "tool" as in a software: it's a theory, it's a mechanism of translation.

I have Vinay & Darbelnet's book (Stylistique comparée du français et de l'anglais) and yes, "transposition" is explained.

Using your knowledge of that theory, you can apply it to your daily translation life.

But I have never heard of any software by them... especially since their work dates from the 1950's-1970's. If such a software exists, it would have been created by somebody else than them!

Good luckicon_smile.gif

Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:48
English to French
+ ...
Try this link Aug 11, 2004

http://www.renaud-bray.com/francais/test_lien/lien_usb.asp

you may also want to try amazon.ca

good luck,

abdellatif

Brazil
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks. Aug 13, 2004

Abdellatif Bouhid wrote:

http://www.renaud-bray.com/francais/test_lien/lien_usb.asp

you may also want to try amazon.ca

good luck,

abdellatif

Brazil
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, you are quite right. It's a book and not a tool. I managed to order a copy at Amazon.com.Thanks Aug 13, 2004

Adolpho Silva wrote:

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Good luckicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can you get Vinay & Darbelnet's transposition tool?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search