Theoretical literature on poor source texts - suggestions needed
Thread poster: Cryptorchid
Mar 27, 2013

Hi all,

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum for this, but it was the closest I could find... I'm looking for theoretical literature on what you 'should' do as a translator if the source text is very badly written. To what extent should you re-write the original text? Note that I'm not looking for tips on what to do as such; I'm looking for theoretical literature on what to doicon_smile.gif

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks!icon_smile.gif

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:58
Chinese to English
I think you won't find much... Mar 27, 2013

...because most theoreticians assume that you never rewrite the source. Could be a very interesting new area to look into.

There's a bit in Newmark - he divides translation into three categories, and if the text is about the real world (journalism, scientific paper, etc.), he says that the translator has an obligation to describe the world accurately - an obligation to truth, as well as to the source text and to readers. That can serve as a justification for altering the source text.

I think I recall seeing some research on what translators do with number errors as well - you'll have to Google. But I don't think I've ever seen anything on rewriting because of poor quality in the source text.

(Though as an aside, if you search for reviews of Mo Yan (following his Nobel win), there's one rather caustic one out there which says Mo can't write at all, and all his style was created by his translator.)

Cryptorchid
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 27, 2013

Pretty much as I suspected then... Hm. But thanks for your quick reply thoughicon_smile.gif

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Becoming a Translator Mar 27, 2013

I don’t remember if Doug Robinson also treats this issue explicitly in his book Becoming a Translator: An Accelerated Course, but it is at least implicit in some parts of Chapter 1.

Cryptorchid
TOPIC STARTER
Oh - great! Mar 27, 2013

Thank you!!

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:58
Chinese to English
Just thought of something Mar 28, 2013

You could look at the literature on feminist translation. They take an interventionist approach to texts, so you could see what kind of justifications they use, and try to apply them to the cases you're thinking of. Dunno if it would work, but might give you a few things to put on your bibliography at least!

Cryptorchid
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Mar 28, 2013

That's a great idea! Thanks!!!icon_smile.gif

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:58
German to English
relay translations Mar 28, 2013

Another suggestion like Phil's: Research on "relay translations" is also likely to include a discussion of this topic.

Cryptorchid
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU!!! Mar 28, 2013

This is really great!! icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Theoretical literature on poor source texts - suggestions needed

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search