https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/246028-glossary_with_terms_related_to_hairdressing_suggestions_needed.html

Glossary with terms related to hairdressing - suggestions needed
Thread poster: Elena85
Elena85
Elena85
Local time: 17:32
French to Italian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2013

Someone of you can help me?
I'm looking for a glossary regarding the world of the hairdresser (terms, expressions...)

Can you help me?

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:32
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
A cosmetology textbook Mar 27, 2013

I have a cosmetology textbook which explain all the terms and techniques for cutting and styling hair. Something like this in your language would be what you are looking for. I used to work in this field so that's why I have this resource.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not really helpful but... Mar 27, 2013

I'm sorry if my reply turns out to be worthless in the end (and there is such a possibility) but for a moment I believe that the perspective of someone completely almost ignorant on the subject at start but hypothetically faced with a need to deliver a competent translation could be of some limited help since I do indeed have some experience in dealing with awful projects of doom.

So, if at all possible, I'd try to put my hands on something monolingual and intended for newbie hairdr
... See more
I'm sorry if my reply turns out to be worthless in the end (and there is such a possibility) but for a moment I believe that the perspective of someone completely almost ignorant on the subject at start but hypothetically faced with a need to deliver a competent translation could be of some limited help since I do indeed have some experience in dealing with awful projects of doom.

So, if at all possible, I'd try to put my hands on something monolingual and intended for newbie hairdressers or their potential customers (that'd be websites, hopefully). Preferably with pictures, because in most cases I just wouldn't have a faint idea what even to look up in a dictionary (no matter bilingual or monolingual). I can't really imagine figuring hair-dressing out without pictures--too much risk of failure even if I were to be subjectively convinced in some high degree of being right.

If really hard-pressed and unable to find answers through my own searching, I'd probably eventually get around to asking a real, native-speaking hair-dresser, e.g. by registering on some message boards, or actually by insisting that my client pay a live hair-dresser, either for some insights or the simple information as to where to find appropriate books or ebooks if I couldn't figure that out on my own (and for the record, it should be completely legal to pay someone to buy a book for us in his country and scan some pages for us before snail-mailing the hard cope). Like I said, pictures would be crucial.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In Italian? Mar 27, 2013

I know of one or two in English...

Laura Francesca
Laura Francesca  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Multilingual websites Mar 28, 2013

Take a look at industry websites such as this one:

http://www.jeanlouisdavid.com/

Each article is published in a variety of languages, so it's fairly useful when searching for terms.

Hope this helps.

Elena85
Elena85
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tks Mar 28, 2013

thanks a lot to everyone, I'm looking some simply sentences.
I work as a receptionist in a Jean Louis David salon and I have to do a little (very simply) glossary for my collegues...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary with terms related to hairdressing - suggestions needed

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »