Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:52
Czech to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2004

http://dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/index.htm
is the (very nice) URL of a dictionary not very much used by modern translators but maybe some time you will be in need of something like this and then you will be glad to know where to look. They even provide a list of browsers which fit their website.
"Since the original dictionary was published in 1898 its copyright has now permanently expired
... See more
http://dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/index.htm
is the (very nice) URL of a dictionary not very much used by modern translators but maybe some time you will be in need of something like this and then you will be glad to know where to look. They even provide a list of browsers which fit their website.
"Since the original dictionary was published in 1898 its copyright has now permanently expired. Therefore as it is in the public domain, the dictionary can now be republished by anyone."
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:52
German to English
Anglo-Saxon dictionary Sep 9, 2004

Thank you, Charlotte. This brings back fond memories of one of my most favorite classes in graduate school. We "had" to memorize this one:

Lord's Prayer I (Exeter Book,10th c.)

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum;
Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice
gewurþe ðin willa
on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne g
... See more
Thank you, Charlotte. This brings back fond memories of one of my most favorite classes in graduate school. We "had" to memorize this one:

Lord's Prayer I (Exeter Book,10th c.)

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum;
Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice
gewurþe ðin willa
on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele soþlice

http://www-data.slu.se/~nat/English/LP.htm
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:52
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
to become Bin Rice? Sep 9, 2004

to becume þin rice

Interesting link, Charlotte. A strange, wonderful language rife with Latin. Not much Latin has survived in its original form now. The academic Dutch texts I translate tend to contain quite a few Latin expressions and I'm sometimes not sure how much of them are understood by the English target audience.
For example: Errare humanum est, or: Nihil sine labore.

Another useful link with a huge number of resources for translators - includin
... See more
to becume þin rice

Interesting link, Charlotte. A strange, wonderful language rife with Latin. Not much Latin has survived in its original form now. The academic Dutch texts I translate tend to contain quite a few Latin expressions and I'm sometimes not sure how much of them are understood by the English target audience.
For example: Errare humanum est, or: Nihil sine labore.

Another useful link with a huge number of resources for translators - including an anthology of Middle English literature - can be found at: http://www.blackstump.com.au/wordsf3.htm
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anglo-Saxon dictionary

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »