Thread poster: JevelleH

JevelleH  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2013

Hi all!

I am looking for a really great online dictionary, particularly for general and international business and medical, that I can download to my computer and use offline. I have a paperback one but I realize it can be really time consuming. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!

Jevelle

Silvia Poidimani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:02
English to Italian
And an app? Oct 12, 2013

I found an iPhone/iPad app which seems good, but only for Apple, not Android. It works offline, price $5.99

English-Spanish Medical Dictionary
By Word Magic Software
View More By This Developer

You can find it on iTunes

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And an App? Oct 12, 2013

Thank you very much! I didn't think about apps. I WILL look into that.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:02
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
One with app Oct 12, 2013

You could try this one http://www.spanishdict.com/translation
which has a link for downloading an app. Spanish is not one of my working languages, I hardly ever use it. so have no idea how good it is.

Maika Vicente Navarro  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:02
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other resources, more generic Oct 12, 2013

During Proz´s virtual conference, Wordfinder was being promoted. It´s an online dictionary from/to many languages. I haven´t used it much, so I don´t really know if it is very good.

Wordreference, www.wordreference.com/‎, is a generic dictionary English to French, Italian, German and Spanish. It is very helpful for general terms and it includes an synonym/antonym dictionary in the above mentioned languages (only monolingual version). I like the synonym/antonym dictionary as sometimes provides with alternatives when translating.

Linguee, http://www.linguee.com/, provides an online resource English Spanish, English German, English French, English Portuguese, etc. For a generic online dictionary it's fine. The overall quality of this one is quite good, though there are things that need to be worked on. The best part of this dictionary its the parallel corpora. Linguee makes use of several parallel corpora sentences aligned to provide with different options when looking for a term. Very good when looking for fixed expressions, idiomatic uses, etc. The parallel corpora provides you a context that proves to be helpful when translating, though you do not get a good "answer" on occasions.

I do not know if any of the above dictionaries can be downloaded for use offline.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Online Resources Oct 19, 2013

Good morning!

I have been using all of the tools yall have suggested and they all work great! I like using Linguee most of all BECAUSE OF the parallel corpora. It was also suggested that I look at Babylon 10 as well. I am going to do this today and I'll let you know how it works. Thanks again!

Yours Truly,

Jevelle

Roy Youdale
Spanish to English
+ ...
Many thanks to everyone Oct 24, 2013

I would just like to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. I am building up a list of online Spanish and Spanish-English dictionaries and this has been very helpful. I am particularly interested in finding dictionaries or glossaries which deal with Latin American Spanish -- Uruguayan in particular -- and any suggestions about this would be very much appreciated.

All the best,

Roy Youdale

Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reverso Dictionary Nov 25, 2013

I like WordReference and Linguee, and use them often.

Another very useful online dictionary is the Reverso dictionary at http://dictionary.reverso.net/ It provides definitions between English and French, Russian, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, German and Chinese! There are multiple definitions of terms and extensive usage examples.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for an online English to Spanish/Spanish to English dictionary

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search