Off topic: take part in survey, `The impact of technology on translation business`
Thread poster: Kristina Mazonaite
Kristina Mazonaite
Kristina Mazonaite
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:15
English to Lithuanian
Feb 20, 2014

Hi,
I am a student of Languages studies at Leeds Metropolitan University. As part of my degree I am writing a dissertation entitled, `The impact of translation technology on language business`. It is just a brief set of 13 questions with multiple choices. It would be extremely helpful to hear translators point of view in regards to the subject. I would be grateful if you could take a moment to answer following questions, the link is below. The questionnaire is confidential and you have th
... See more
Hi,
I am a student of Languages studies at Leeds Metropolitan University. As part of my degree I am writing a dissertation entitled, `The impact of translation technology on language business`. It is just a brief set of 13 questions with multiple choices. It would be extremely helpful to hear translators point of view in regards to the subject. I would be grateful if you could take a moment to answer following questions, the link is below. The questionnaire is confidential and you have the wright to withdraw at any point. Thank you in advance for your participation.

http://bit.ly/NUddco

thank you
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 23:15
English to German
URL shortening services? Feb 20, 2014

Kristina Mazonaite wrote:

FWIW, some of us never click any link that belongs to an URL shortening service.

Kristina Mazonaite
Kristina Mazonaite
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:15
English to Lithuanian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your participation and your feedback Feb 24, 2014

Kristina Mazonaite wrote:

Hi,
I am a student of Languages studies at Leeds Metropolitan University. As part of my degree I am writing a dissertation entitled, `The impact of translation technology on language business`. It is just a brief set of 13 questions with multiple choices. It would be extremely helpful to hear translators point of view in regards to the subject. I would be grateful if you could take a moment to answer following questions, the link is below. The questionnaire is confidential and you have the wright to withdraw at any point. Thank you in advance for your participation.

thank you

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:15
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Done. Feb 24, 2014

Done.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:15
Chinese to English
Done, but it's a dull survey. Feb 25, 2014

This survey has been done a million times before. It misses the point about the way we actually interact with technology.

I've copied what I put in the "other comments" box below.

I think you've got a very limited view of what translation technology is and what it does. Technology helps massively because it enables us to research, but that is very different to computers doing the translation for us.
At present we have tools like online dictionaries; we can search
... See more
This survey has been done a million times before. It misses the point about the way we actually interact with technology.

I've copied what I put in the "other comments" box below.

I think you've got a very limited view of what translation technology is and what it does. Technology helps massively because it enables us to research, but that is very different to computers doing the translation for us.
At present we have tools like online dictionaries; we can search the web to research; we can use thesauruses and rhyme dictionaries; we can look at images and some videos.
As time goes by, these possibilities are going to keep growing, as will our ability to sift them and find the resources we need. In particular, computers will get better at linking images and videos to text, so when I want to search for videos of windmills, the computer will be able to find them (whether or not anyone says the word "windmill" in the text or video). Lawyers will develop big databases of comparative law, so that we can search them and identify legal terms precisely. 3d video will get better, so technical translators will be able to see inside the machines they are writing about. And ever larger databases of existing good translations will be developed (using Google Books and a good alignment tool, for example, someone should start aligning all the world's translated novels), and mined intelligently for terminology.
Eventually, many years down the line, I'm sure computers will be able to translate automatically for us. But that 's not what's going to happen in the near term.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

take part in survey, `The impact of technology on translation business`

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »