https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/27682-pdf_to_word_and_vice_versa_without_acrobat_program.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
PDF to word and vice versa without Acrobat program
Thread poster: Herbert Fipke
Herbert Fipke
Herbert Fipke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:25
English to German
+ ...
Dec 17, 2004

Hi Folks!
After having rejected several projects because I didn't have the very expensive full size Adobe Acrobat programme (min. 300 Euro) just to be able to convert a word file into PDF and vice versa, I searched the internet for some time and found this:

http://www.solidpdf.com/

This is a licensed little tool which does exact that: Just conversion between word and PDF.
It
... See more
Hi Folks!
After having rejected several projects because I didn't have the very expensive full size Adobe Acrobat programme (min. 300 Euro) just to be able to convert a word file into PDF and vice versa, I searched the internet for some time and found this:

This is a licensed little tool which does exact that: Just conversion between word and PDF.
It is shareware and costs 45 USD if satisfied after 15 days of testing.

I love it! I can now finally send my invoices WITH a secured signature to my clients, and word counting as wellas text preparation for translating is far more easier after having converted a pdf into a working! Word file.

Check it out!
Rgds
Herbert

PS: I am not a salesman for this company and I don't get any bonus for this. I just want to share my experience with all of you.
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
SolidPDF Dec 17, 2004

I have Acrobat 6.0 and I actually uninstalled it because it was interfering with SolidPDF

I love that program too. And I don't work on a comission.

P.

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:25
Russian to English
+ ...
search the web for cutepdf Dec 17, 2004

works a treat

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:25
German to English
+ ...
My experience Dec 17, 2004

Found it absolutely useless: I mean Solid PDF. I don't think it is quite as bad as WORD2PDF, though. I bought that one (there isn't a trial version). Their support team cannot understand English and write it very badly. They totally missed my point -they thought I was happy with their product when I was telling them it did not work!

I believe those tools should be user-friendly and not require hours of trial-and-error tuning.

[Edited at 2004-12-17 15:08]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
CutePDF Dec 17, 2004

I'm using it for a few months now, it works like a charm!

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
PDF transformer Dec 17, 2004

And how about PDF transformer by Abbyy? Has anybody any experience?
I read some opinions and they are rather encouraging. Besides the OCR programs should have an option of recognizing PDFs.

Piotr

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:25
English to Turkish
+ ...
PrimoPDF Dec 17, 2004

I've been using PrimoPDF for a few months now and I'm happy with it. I'll also give Gymnast a try soon. It's supposed to have extra capabilities, such as turning URLs in Word documents into clickable links in the converted PDF file (which Primo can't do).

They're both free, no strings attached -- and no ads.

Aziz

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
Spanish to English
About PDF Transformer Dec 17, 2004

Regarding the question about ABBYY PDF Transformer, I have been using it for a few months, and it works great. I does an excellent job on converting scanned PDF files into Word. I have used it for a variety of faxed documents and have been happy with the results.

Usually there are a few mis-read errors, but they are minimal (only a few per page). The time it saves is well worth it!

I don't work for or receive a commission from the company either...

... See more
Regarding the question about ABBYY PDF Transformer, I have been using it for a few months, and it works great. I does an excellent job on converting scanned PDF files into Word. I have used it for a variety of faxed documents and have been happy with the results.

Usually there are a few mis-read errors, but they are minimal (only a few per page). The time it saves is well worth it!

I don't work for or receive a commission from the company either...

Russell
Collapse

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
what about the opposite direction? Dec 17, 2004

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir wrote:

I've been using PrimoPDF for a few months now and I'm happy with it. I'll also give Gymnast a try soon. It's supposed to have extra capabilities, such as turning URLs in Word documents into clickable links in the converted PDF file (which Primo can't do).

They're both free, no strings attached -- and no ads.

Aziz

Can PrimoPDF convert PDFs into Word? I think that is the whole discussion about.

Piotr

Hirschmann (X)
Hirschmann (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
An excellent solution is ... Dec 17, 2004

... OpenOffice for Windows or Linux. With this free software, you can create excellent .pdf files from Word or OpenOffice files.

For conversion of .pdf files to Word files, I suggest a good OCR software (I use OmniPage 14).

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
PDF955 Dec 17, 2004

This freeware software is great in transforming Excel and Word files into PDFs.
You can find in on the net, sorry but I don't remember the site.

HTH

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
English to Turkish
+ ...
one direction only Dec 17, 2004

Piotr Sawiec wrote:

Can PrimoPDF convert PDFs into Word? I think that is the whole discussion about.

Piotr

I just read the first part of the original problem - "to convert a word file into PDF and vice versa" - and overlooked the "vice versa" part. Primo only deals with Word-to-PDF. Hope this clears it up.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
PDFCreator Dec 18, 2004

Another tool for making PDFs is PDFCreator. It has some (small) glitches, but for most purposes it is quite good. Considering it is free (open source), you really get a bargain!

As for PDF to Word, I agree that OCR seems to be the best option now. I got mine bundled with my scanner and it works quite well.

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Spanish to English
+ ...
Creating PDF from Word Dec 19, 2004

Hi Folks,

I can convert to Acrobat from Word, but this is more of an additional question than a response to the asker. In Word, if I go to Print, under Printer Name my default printer appears first in the drop-down list. But If I click on the list I get an “Acrobat PDF Writer” option. If I select that, I’m asked where to save the file. It is then saved as PDF and opens with Acrobat Reader. I have never bought Acrobat Writer, so I’m just curious as to why I have this option.
... See more
Hi Folks,

I can convert to Acrobat from Word, but this is more of an additional question than a response to the asker. In Word, if I go to Print, under Printer Name my default printer appears first in the drop-down list. But If I click on the list I get an “Acrobat PDF Writer” option. If I select that, I’m asked where to save the file. It is then saved as PDF and opens with Acrobat Reader. I have never bought Acrobat Writer, so I’m just curious as to why I have this option. Anybody know?
Collapse

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
English to Turkish
+ ...
Adobe may have installed it Dec 19, 2004

Jack Bowman wrote:
I have never bought Acrobat Writer, so I’m just curious as to why I have this option. Anybody know?

Do you have PageMaker or another Adobe program? Some Adobe installations install Adobe Distiller, a pdf creator that works from *.ps files, which in turn are created when you select "Print to file" from Word. Given that Adobe does this, I find it likely that an Adobe program you installed at some point added the plug-in to Word.

PrimoPDF works the same way, presenting itself as an option in the Printer dialog box.

Aziz

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF to word and vice versa without Acrobat program

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »