Dictionaries in French
Thread poster: sandhya

sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:25
German to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2004

Hi,

I would like to upgrade some of my dictionaries, but am unable to find a one-stop source for it!

Any suggestions for online resources to purchase French into English specialized dictionaries?

For German dictionaries I go to Kater Verlag, who also deliver to India (main criteria!).

TIA
cheers
sandhya

Direct link Reply with quote

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
What about Amazon + my tech Fr-En dico Dec 18, 2004

Sandhya Murthy wrote:

Hi,

I would like to upgrade some of my dictionaries, but am unable to find a one-stop source for it!

Any suggestions for online resources to purchase French into English specialized dictionaries?

For German dictionaries I go to Kater Verlag, who also deliver to India (main criteria!).
...snip...

You didnt' say whether you have tried the obvious supplier, Amazon (might be worth trying www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.fr)
I bought a Ger>English tech dico from Amazon.de two years ago and it was cheaper than in a London bookshop, and came in 6 days.

If you're interested to know this: I have the Dictionary of Technical and Scientific terms by Henri Goursau and I find it's quite a good general Fr-En technical dico. A slight "beware": it contains virtually nothing (no help, no introduction) apart from the dictionary body itself: over 900 pages, 11 cm x 17 cm.

Oliver Walter

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 18, 2004

Thanks Oliver,

Yes, I do buy from Amazon too, but I wondered if there was a special publisher/store dealing exclusively with dicos.

Thanks for the tip, I will check the dictionary you suggested.

regards
sandhya

Vicky Shelton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
Italian to English
+ ...
fnac Dec 18, 2004

I bought five FR>EN dictionaries (technical, IT, marketing, law and a great book on the problems of translating contracts written primarily for EN>FR translators, but I find it very helpful) from one of their shops in Nice and have been very happy with them. It looks like you can buy online from their website...I think it is www.fnac.com and they must ship out of Europe, but I could not find out if they ship to India. You might have better luck checking their website than I did.
Good luck!
Vicky

Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
La Maison du Dictionnaire Dec 18, 2004

Sandhya,

This is the most famous place for dictionaries in France. They provide paper and cd-rom version dictionaries.
But keep in mind that some "free" online very specific dictionaries/glossaries/lexiques are sometimes if not often more accurate or up-to-date than sources bought from various brick-and-mortar or web-based stores. My experience is that although it may be reassuring to buy a specialized dictionary for a specific field, it can be a "subjective" source and it is always good to cross-check online with other sources. Specialized dictionaries can be very expensive and are not always "worth the investment".

All the best,

Jean-Luc

La Maison du Dictionnaire
98, Bd du Montparnasse
F-75014 PARIS
FRANCE

Tel.: +33 (0) 1 43 22 12 93
Fax: +33 (0) 1 43 22 01 77

Monday to Friday from 9 am to 7 pm and Saturday from 12 am to 6 pm (Paris time)

http://www.dicoland.com/index.php

E-mail: service-client@dicoland.com

http://www.libriszone.com/lib/librairies/dico/

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:55
German to English
+ ...
Grant and Cutler, London, UK Dec 18, 2004

Try Grant and Cutler in UK (see their website). I have had 3-4 dictionaries on CD-ROM sent airmail to Australia.

Robin Salmon
FR/DE>EN
Perth
Australia

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are right Dec 19, 2004

Thank you all!

I will check all the suggestions.

I agree with you, Jean-Luc, besides using a dictionary, I do a lot of research online/offline for a "specialized" translation.

Until now I have been using the Termium and a couple of technical dicos, and they have been very useful!
But I would also like to check other dictionaries, esp. for the automobile industry!

thanks again
sandhya

[Edited at 2004-12-19 00:42]

Monique Laville  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
specialized dictionaries Dec 19, 2004

I visited the Eryolles stand at the Batimat in Paris a few years ago and saw interesting dictionaries, especially on building and law:
http://www.eyrolles.com/?xd=f6055502cd5c8963688ed05be0446a23

There is also the librairie Lavoisier (more specialized on medicine and agriculture), but I cannot reach their server:
www.lavoisier.fr

Best regards.

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Grant and Cutler Dec 20, 2004

robtrans wrote:

Try Grant and Cutler in UK (see their website). I have had 3-4 dictionaries on CD-ROM sent airmail to Australia.

Robin Salmon
FR/DE>EN
Perth
Australia

Yes, Grant and Cutler has a big range of dicos (and other language-related books) but they might be rather expensive. The Ger>En dico I mentioned above was 116 UKP from them, but the equivalent of about 75 UKP (including postage) when I bought it from Amazon Germany.

Leonardo MILANI  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
French to Portuguese
+ ...
The Grand Dictionnaire Jan 3, 2005

Hi Sandhya,

Did you already know this excellent "Grand Dictionnaire", provided by the Office Québecois de la Langue Française ?

http://www.granddictionnaire.com/btml/fra/r_motclef/index1024_1.asp

You can find many possibles definitions of a word in each application, or find all the expressions which contains that word (and you can have the translations in latin too).

Hope it helps !

Yours,

Leo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionaries in French

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search