Native language names
Thread poster: eTran
eTran
English
Dec 21, 2004

I'm putting together a list of languages in it's native form and I'm stuck with "Oromo", "Nuer" and "Sorani".
Can anyone give me or tell me where I can find them?
Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:15
English to Turkish
Hi eTran, Dec 21, 2004

Sorani -> Soranî

You can check the following pages, also for the spelling in Arabic script (maybe in Wiki you can find info for your other queries, too):

http://ku.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soranî

Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:15
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
ethnologue.com Dec 21, 2004

The inventory at http://www.ethnologue.com/language_index.asp
could be useful.

All the best,

mario

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sorany is a regional dialect of the Kurdish, not a stand-alone language Dec 21, 2004

Greetings.

Sorany (also variously spelled as "Surani" and "Sorani") is a regional dialect of the Kurdish language, and not a stand-alone language.

Nuer is one of the indigenous non-Arabic languages found in regions of Sudan (mostly) and "Upper Egypt" (albeit very slightly).

As an earlier respondent kindly mentioned, the online "Ethnologue" -- website at < www.sil.org > -- includes a searchable directory with plenty of detail.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke

eTran
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 22, 2004

Hi All.
Thanks for you responses.
I have finally managed to gather all the languages I need in their native script.

oromia
French to English
+ ...
Native language names Jan 28, 2008

The Oromo language is referred to as afaan Oromo by native speakers. BTW I am a native Oromo speaker. If you want to learn more about Oromo,visit www.oromia. com and/or www.gadaa. com.

Good Luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Native language names

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search