https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/27773-native_language_names.html

Native language names
Thread poster: eTran
eTran
eTran
English
Dec 21, 2004

I'm putting together a list of languages in it's native form and I'm stuck with "Oromo", "Nuer" and "Sorani".
Can anyone give me or tell me where I can find them?
Thanks.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:49
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hi eTran, Dec 21, 2004

Sorani -> Soranî

You can check the following pages, also for the spelling in Arabic script (maybe in Wiki you can find info for your other queries, too):

http://ku.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soranî

Mario Marcolin
Mario Marcolin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:49
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
ethnologue.com Dec 21, 2004

The inventory at http://www.ethnologue.com/language_index.asp
could be useful.

All the best,

mario

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 08:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sorany is a regional dialect of the Kurdish, not a stand-alone language Dec 21, 2004

Greetings.

Sorany (also variously spelled as "Surani" and "Sorani") is a regional dialect of the Kurdish language, and not a stand-alone language.

Nuer is one of the indigenous non-Arabic languages found in regions of Sudan (mostly) and "Upper Egypt" (albeit very slightly).

As an earlier respondent kindly mentioned, the online "Ethnologue" -- website at < www.sil.org > -- include
... See more
Greetings.

Sorany (also variously spelled as "Surani" and "Sorani") is a regional dialect of the Kurdish language, and not a stand-alone language.

Nuer is one of the indigenous non-Arabic languages found in regions of Sudan (mostly) and "Upper Egypt" (albeit very slightly).

As an earlier respondent kindly mentioned, the online "Ethnologue" -- website at < www.sil.org > -- includes a searchable directory with plenty of detail.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
Collapse

eTran
eTran
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 22, 2004

Hi All.
Thanks for you responses.
I have finally managed to gather all the languages I need in their native script.

oromia
oromia
French to English
+ ...
Native language names Jan 28, 2008

The Oromo language is referred to as afaan Oromo by native speakers. BTW I am a native Oromo speaker. If you want to learn more about Oromo,visit www.oromia. com and/or www.gadaa. com.

Good Luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Native language names

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »