UNESCO World Heritage site
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:08
Italian to English
Jan 12, 2005

Check out the wealth of information on this beautiful and informative site. But watch out, it'll give you wanderlust *sigh*...

http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=277

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Happy for Brihadeshvaram Jan 12, 2005

I took topographical and architectural notes on the site in 1999. The temple in question was built by Rajaraja I, the greatest monarch of the Chola Empire (Chola-mandalam, later corrupted to Coromandel), and grandson of the pious queen Sembiyan Mahadevi, who posthumously lent her face and figure to the classic bronze images of the goddess Parvati.

It's in bad need of restoration. I originally went to see what was left of the 108 fresco paintings of the Tandava dance documente
... See more
I took topographical and architectural notes on the site in 1999. The temple in question was built by Rajaraja I, the greatest monarch of the Chola Empire (Chola-mandalam, later corrupted to Coromandel), and grandson of the pious queen Sembiyan Mahadevi, who posthumously lent her face and figure to the classic bronze images of the goddess Parvati.

It's in bad need of restoration. I originally went to see what was left of the 108 fresco paintings of the Tandava dance documented in Tamil literature, but as it turned out, it was too dangerous to even enter the sanctum sanctorum.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UNESCO World Heritage site

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »