Thread poster: iyavor
iyavor
iyavor
Local time: 02:25
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2015

Hello,

Has anyone here come upon a good resource that explains typical English contract language, including many of the unusual words often seen there (e.g. hereof, thereof, hereinafter, herewith, etc.)?

Thanks,

Ilan

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Three very good resources (I use regularly): Aug 20, 2015

• Garner’s Dictionary of Legal Usage (available inside Oxforddictionaries.com)
• Black's Law Dictionary (indispensable)
• A Manual of Style for Contract Drafting (3rd edition), Kenneth A. Adams.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:25
English to Thai
+ ...
Legal English Aug 20, 2015

iyavor wrote:
Has anyone here come upon a good resource that explains typical English contract language, including many of the unusual words often seen there (e.g. hereof, thereof, hereinafter, herewith, etc.)?
Ilan

I am also interested in such legal words in comparison with technical English. As a non-US speaker, they are old English for legal professionals.
Please read more details at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_English

Soonthon L.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:25
English to French
+ ...
not unusual at all Aug 20, 2015

These words are not unusual at all in legal documents.

Their meaning is normally quite clear. Dictionaries, in particular legal dictionaries, usually give good clues to using them.

iyavor wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Ilan

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Took the words right out... Aug 20, 2015

JL01 wrote:

These words are not unusual at all in legal documents.

Their meaning is normally quite clear. Dictionaries, in particular legal dictionaries, usually give good clues to using them.

iyavor wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Ilan

Hear hear. Nothing unusual at all about these "boilerplate" expressions. it's simply a different register from what the lay person might be accustomed to seeing. Now go and sit in the corner...

iyavor
iyavor
Local time: 02:25
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 20, 2015

Let me rephrase... the words themselves are quite common in contracts, they just apart a bit unusual... and I also believe that many periods use these words incorrectly.

What I an really seeing is more of a guide ... how to use these words correctly, what to avoid, etc. So I think the manual of style would be a good place to go... online resources would be great as well.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:25
English to French
+ ...
familiarize yourself Aug 20, 2015

The specific kind of words you mentioned have nothing to do with a style guide. They are used to refer to parts of the document in which they are used.

Reading a few contracts or other legal documents will help getting an idea of how, when and why they are used.

iyavor wrote:

Let me rephrase... the words themselves are quite common in contracts, they just apart a bit unusual... and I also believe that many periods use these words incorrectly.

What I an really seeing is more of a guide ... how to use these words correctly, what to avoid, etc. So I think the manual of style would be a good place to go... online resources would be great as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Explanation of contractual expressions in English

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »