Looking for German-English medical dictionaries
Thread poster: nruddy

nruddy  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
German to English
Feb 11, 2005

Looking for help from medical translators (German-English): what medical/medical technology dictionaries can you recommend that are currently in print?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-11 16:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:47
English to Swedish
+ ...
Roche Feb 11, 2005

Local time: 02:47
German to English
+ ...
German-English medical translation resources Feb 11, 2005

I use Thiele's Handlexikon der Medizin - despite the title, it's a very substantial monolingual dictionary that can often provide solutions with an English work such as Dorland's dictionary. I don't know if it is still in print. It is an abbreviated version of the 6-volume "Reallexikon der Medizin" which gives a lot of English and French equivalents. The publisher is Urban & Schwarzenberg, Munich.
Another useful resource is Beckers Abkürzungslexikon der medizinischen Begriffe, which is online at www.medizinische-abkuerzungen.de

Jill Sommer
United States
Local time: 21:47
German to English
German-English medical dictionaries Feb 11, 2005

I use the following bilingual medical dictionaries:

* Wörterbuch der Medizin und Pharmazeutik by Bunjes
* Medizinische Wörterbuch Deutsch-Englisch by Reuter-Reuter
* Langenscheidts Fachwörterbuch Medizin Deutsch-Englisch
* Langenscheids Fachwörterbuch Medizinische Laboratoriumsdiagnostik Englisch/Deutsch/Französisch

The Bunjes and Reuter-Reuter are two very well-regarded in the field. As is the Unseld Medical Dictionary, which I haven't gotten around to buying.

and the following monolingual medical dictionaries:

* Stedman's Concise Medical Dictionary
* Mosby's Medical Dictionary
* Taber's Medical Dictionary
* Dorland's Medical Dictionary
* Pschyrembel Klinisches Wörterbuch
* Duden Medizinische Fachausdrücke
* Feneis Anatomisches Bildwörterbuch

You may also want to consider purchasing the Roche Lexikon Medizin. It is excellent.

I also frequently refer to the online dictionaries (especially the Roche) at http://www.gesundheit.de/lexika/index.html. Hope that helps.

Jill Sommer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for German-English medical dictionaries

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search