Looking for German-English medical dictionaries
Thread poster: nruddy
nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:33
German to English
Feb 11, 2005

Looking for help from medical translators (German-English): what medical/medical technology dictionaries can you recommend that are currently in print?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-11 16:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:33
English to Swedish
+ ...
Roche Feb 11, 2005

http://www.elsevier.de/titel/3-437-15180-0

geros
Local time: 11:33
German to English
+ ...
German-English medical translation resources Feb 11, 2005

I use Thiele's Handlexikon der Medizin - despite the title, it's a very substantial monolingual dictionary that can often provide solutions with an English work such as Dorland's dictionary. I don't know if it is still in print. It is an abbreviated version of the 6-volume "Reallexikon der Medizin" which gives a lot of English and French equivalents. The publisher is Urban & Schwarzenberg, Munich.
Another useful resource is Beckers Abkürzungslexikon der medizinischen Begriffe, which is online at www.medizinische-abkuerzungen.de

Jill Sommer
United States
Local time: 05:33
German to English
German-English medical dictionaries Feb 11, 2005

I use the following bilingual medical dictionaries:

* Wörterbuch der Medizin und Pharmazeutik by Bunjes
* Medizinische Wörterbuch Deutsch-Englisch by Reuter-Reuter
* Langenscheidts Fachwörterbuch Medizin Deutsch-Englisch
* Langenscheids Fachwörterbuch Medizinische Laboratoriumsdiagnostik Englisch/Deutsch/Französisch

The Bunjes and Reuter-Reuter are two very well-regarded in the field. As is the Unseld Medical Dictionary, which I haven't gotten around to buying.

and the following monolingual medical dictionaries:

* Stedman's Concise Medical Dictionary
* Mosby's Medical Dictionary
* Taber's Medical Dictionary
* Dorland's Medical Dictionary
* Pschyrembel Klinisches Wörterbuch
* Duden Medizinische Fachausdrücke
* Feneis Anatomisches Bildwörterbuch

You may also want to consider purchasing the Roche Lexikon Medizin. It is excellent.

I also frequently refer to the online dictionaries (especially the Roche) at http://www.gesundheit.de/lexika/index.html. Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Jill Sommer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for German-English medical dictionaries

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search