How to find a quote from a book?
Thread poster: Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:43
English to German
Mar 12, 2016

I am translating an article with a quote from a book written in 1954 by an acclaimed author that has been translated into German. If I lived in Germany I might try and find it in the local library to find the quote somehow ...

Is there any way to find out how this quote read in the book - it seems wrong to just do my own thing.

Its Vincent Cronin, "The Golden Honeycomb" or in German "Die Goldene Wabe Sizilien".

How would you deal with that? Turn it into ind
... See more
I am translating an article with a quote from a book written in 1954 by an acclaimed author that has been translated into German. If I lived in Germany I might try and find it in the local library to find the quote somehow ...

Is there any way to find out how this quote read in the book - it seems wrong to just do my own thing.

Its Vincent Cronin, "The Golden Honeycomb" or in German "Die Goldene Wabe Sizilien".

How would you deal with that? Turn it into indirect speech?

[Edited at 2016-03-12 14:22 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:43
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Library in Germany - online website - contact them? Mar 12, 2016

... perhaps contact a good library in Germany and ask them or a friend to research for you? Online literary groups? Or University library?

Just an idea.

Katherine Rutter
Katherine Rutter
United Kingdom
French to English
you could buy the book Mar 12, 2016

It is available reasonably cheaply on amazon.de

Of course, if you have no interest in reading the book anyway you might not want to do that. In which case I'd probably agree about turning it into reported speech if you have no way of getting the book. Maybe someone on this site is in Germany and has a copy of it too look it up for you, or perhaps on any German language groups that you might belong too (ask on linked in maybe?)

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Ask a seller Mar 12, 2016

By googling the German title (in quotation marks), you can find that this book is for sale used e.g. on booklooker.de and amazon.de. You could try choosing a seller that looks friendly, and offer them a few Euros in exchange for the exact quotation.

The alternative would be to ask a German with a library card to order it via the interlibrary loan, but that's more work (someone has to physically walk to the library) than asking someone who already owns a copy.

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestion Mar 12, 2016

As there is another quote from D. H. Lawrance at the end of this 1000 word article, of which there may not be an official translation (I haven't searched yet), but I thought maybe someone knows of a website or a way of getting hold of such quotes?

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Project Gutenberg Mar 12, 2016

... but I checked, the Cronin one isn't on there. Maybe the D.H. Lawrence is?

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Mar 12, 2016

I'm not clear why you want a German translation, but do you have the English? If so, you can just translate it yourself. There's no such thing as an "official" translation. No one is going to sue you or anything.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Or do you want the English? Mar 12, 2016

Again, I'm not clear what you need, but if it's the original English that you want, you could just translate it from the German and put a translator's note saying that it's a paraphrase as you don't have the English.

It also depends what this is for. If it's just a single sentence, and your translation won't be read by many people, they won't care whether it's an exact rendition of what the English author said.

[Edited at 2016-03-12 17:12 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:43
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
start with Mar 12, 2016

Googling for the exact text: put the text you nee in quotes (e.g. your syntax: Cronin "text")
There is a lot of literature already online and in corpora.

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 12, 2016

Ricki Farn wrote:

... but I checked, the Cronin one isn't on there. Maybe the D.H. Lawrence is?

Is Project Gutenberg a website, I will look into it for the future, the Lawrence one is probably not so relevant as it is just something he has said apparently, but if it is something that is meant to be quoted from a book then I feel I can't write something else, so I might use indirect speech.

It is for a website, so a fair few people will hopefully read it and some of them might know the German version of the book.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Project Gutenberg links Mar 12, 2016

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/DE_Hauptseite

http://www.projekt.gutenberg.de

Taña Dalglish
Taña Dalglish
Jamaica
Local time: 09:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
English version for what it is worth! Mar 12, 2016

https://archive.org/details/goldenhoneycomb006170mbp
This is the English (full version). Like Phil (a previous post), I am not sure if you need the English or just the German, but
... See more
https://archive.org/details/goldenhoneycomb006170mbp
This is the English (full version). Like Phil (a previous post), I am not sure if you need the English or just the German, but in any event, here is the English.

http://www.zeit.de/1956/24/hat-daedalus-gelebt

http://www.europeonline-magazine.eu/wikisearch.php?title=Vincent_Cronin
The Golden Honeycomb. A Sicilian Quest. Dutton, New York 1954, ISBN 0-246-11125-9.
deutsche Übersetzung: Die goldene Wabe Sizilien. Scherz & Goverts, Stuttgart 1956.

Die goldene Wabe Sizilien by Cronin, Vincent:: Scherz ...
www.abebooks.com/goldene-Wabe-Sizilien...Scherz/...
AbeBooks.com: Die goldene Wabe Sizilien: The golden honeycomb original Leinenband, 8°, 327 ... Published by Scherz & Govert Verlag [1956], Stuttgart, 1956.

One suggestion, and while perhaps a bit wild, would be to contact the German publishers via e-mail (Scherz & Govert Verlag [1956], Stuttgart, 1956), and perhaps ask them to help you with your query.

Regards.
Collapse

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Try a book forum or three Mar 12, 2016

I once found out the title of a library book I had read as a child by asking at the AbeBooks forum, based on about three small details. I don't see a German language forum there but you may try asking around for help at this place,
http://www.buechereule.de/wbb2/index.php.
perhaps under "Allerlei Buch". It's worth a shot, you may get another lead.

[Edited at 2016-03-13 17:08
... See more
I once found out the title of a library book I had read as a child by asking at the AbeBooks forum, based on about three small details. I don't see a German language forum there but you may try asking around for help at this place,
http://www.buechereule.de/wbb2/index.php.
perhaps under "Allerlei Buch". It's worth a shot, you may get another lead.

[Edited at 2016-03-13 17:08 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do it yourself Mar 13, 2016

philgoddard wrote:

Again, I'm not clear what you need, but if it's the original English that you want, you could just translate it from the German and put a translator's note saying that it's a paraphrase as you don't have the English.

It also depends what this is for. If it's just a single sentence, and your translation won't be read by many people, they won't care whether it's an exact rendition of what the English author said.

I totally agree. On at least one of the few occasions when I've had to translate quotes, I tweaked or improved upon the original "official" translation.

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
"Quote" Mar 13, 2016

neilmac wrote:

philgoddard wrote:

I totally agree. On at least one of the few occasions when I've had to translate quotes, I tweaked or improved upon the original "official" translation.

Sorry, I don't agree. It doesn't matter how good or bad that quote is translated in the German translation of the book. If there wasn't a German translation then there wouldn't be a problem - but there is and it seems that it has been around since the 1950s.

The book is about Sicily, and the website is a travel website, so a German Sicily fan might know the German book well and discover that my "quote" is not really a quote from the book.

I have found what appears to be a small bookseller in Germany who sells the German translation of the book via amazon. I have asked whether they could try and find it for me ... in return I will buy some other books from them. See what happens ...

[Edited at 2016-03-13 10:09 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find a quote from a book?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »