Best Italian-English technical dictionary
Thread poster: Alessia Mencarelli

Alessia Mencarelli
Italy
Local time: 00:41
Italian to English
Mar 31, 2016

Hi all!

What is the best Italian-English technical dictionary? I'm currently using the HOEPLI one at the agency I am working at but I want to buy one for home. HOEPLI is not bad... I guess I'd just like opinions on others seeing as it is really pricey!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Il Marolli Mar 31, 2016

Alessia Mencarelli wrote:

Hi all!

What is the best Italian-English technical dictionary? I'm currently using the HOEPLI one at the agency I am working at but I want to buy one for home. HOEPLI is not bad... I guess I'd just like opinions on others seeing as it is really pricey!



Years ago I used to use "Il Marolli" now published by Hoepli (so maybe it's the same thing)

http://www.hoepli.it/libro/grande-dizionario-tecnico-inglese/9788820363376.html

However these days there are lots on online dictionaries.

[Edited at 2016-03-31 09:17 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alessia Mencarelli
Italy
Local time: 00:41
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yup Mar 31, 2016

That's the one!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Barbara Bonatti Divers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:41
English to Italian
McGraw-Hill Zanichelli Mar 31, 2016

This is the one I use. I don't know how it compares, but I find it adequate.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nostalgia Mar 31, 2016

Alessia Mencarelli wrote:

That's the one!


Mine used to look like this:

http://tinyurl.com/zcqrb6p

but I threw it away years ago !

You can still find it on ebay.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:41
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Search online Mar 31, 2016

I used to have a load of books.
Marolli was the best tech dictionary imo, think I had the McGraw-Hill scientific one with a CD too but got fed up with looking for stuff that wasn't in it.
Nowadays I just search online.

If you get a CD there's a cool way of creating an image so you can have the CD data on a virtual drive on your system to keep the CD slot empty and it's a lot faster to use too.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alessia Mencarelli
Italy
Local time: 00:41
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Online? Mar 31, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

I used to have a load of books.
Marolli was the best tech dictionary imo, think I had the McGraw-Hill scientific one with a CD too but got fed up with looking for stuff that wasn't in it.
Nowadays I just search online.

If you get a CD there's a cool way of creating an image so you can have the CD data on a virtual drive on your system to keep the CD slot empty and it's a lot faster to use too.


Hi Jo,

I wish searching online were that easy! When I work from home I waste precious time searching for things that I could have easily found on the HOEPLI dictionary at work...

Do you have any specific websites/resources for this sort of thing?

Online technical dictionaries seem impossible to come by on the internet...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:41
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Here's a few Mar 31, 2016

Iate is pretty good
http://iate.europa.eu/SearchByQuery.do

This is good for electrical stuff
http://www.electropedia.org/

Google is great

List of S-phrases
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S-phrases

Things that fly
http://www.synchrolite.com/B329.html

A few more here
http://www.itu.int/terminology/index.html

and I have hundreds of specific web sites I use for reference.

Mostly though I use Iate, Proz and Google and then follow my nose.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alessia Mencarelli
Italy
Local time: 00:41
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS!! Mar 31, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Iate is pretty good
http://iate.europa.eu/SearchByQuery.do

This is good for electrical stuff
http://www.electropedia.org/

Google is great

List of S-phrases
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S-phrases

Things that fly
http://www.synchrolite.com/B329.html

A few more here
http://www.itu.int/terminology/index.html

and I have hundreds of specific web sites I use for reference.

Mostly though I use Iate, Proz and Google and then follow my nose.



So useful thanks Jo!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Italian-English technical dictionary

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search