Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 19, 2016

Now why didn't the ATA think of doing something like this?

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/translation-sites-clever-recipe-taste-test-shows-how-wrong-google-translate-can-be-168170

[Edited at 2016-04-19 12:04 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:50
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Great video Apr 19, 2016

I loved it. Especially where the blindfolded lady puts the sushi with the plastic toy horse on it in her mouth and takes it out with an expression of "Oooh, what's this in my mouth?"

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:50
English to Italian
+ ...
....The comments below :O Apr 19, 2016

Apparently many didn't get the point...have you read the comments at the end of the page? I would be so willing to share with those saying "I'll stick with GT" the story of my neighbour who used GT to translate a SIMPLE sentence for her tattoo and had to modify it after I told her it was wrong and made no sense (Edit: YES, I really struggled before eventually deciding to tell her the truth in case you're wondering)

Anyway this ad is BRILLIANT!

[Edited at 2016-04-
... See more
Apparently many didn't get the point...have you read the comments at the end of the page? I would be so willing to share with those saying "I'll stick with GT" the story of my neighbour who used GT to translate a SIMPLE sentence for her tattoo and had to modify it after I told her it was wrong and made no sense (Edit: YES, I really struggled before eventually deciding to tell her the truth in case you're wondering)

Anyway this ad is BRILLIANT!

[Edited at 2016-04-19 13:57 GMT]
Collapse

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Bravo! Apr 19, 2016

Well done!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 19, 2016

Serena Basili wrote:

my neighbour who used GT to translate a SIMPLE sentence for her tattoo and had to modify it after I told her it was wrong and made no sense

What was the sentence, Serena?

I often wonder whether people tattooed with Chinese characters have got it right.

[Edited at 2016-04-19 15:28 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
You could always... Apr 19, 2016

get an ad for translation software tattooed on your back:
http://www.oddee.com/item_99102.aspx

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chinese characters tattoos Apr 19, 2016

http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/

Indeed many people are fooled because they think that there is a Chinese alphabet and that there are characters that correspond to letters which they use to tattoo their names: http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/2006/08/gibberish-asian-font-mystery-solved.html

philgoddard wrote:

I often wonder whether people tattooed with Chinese characters have got it right.

[Edited at 2016-04-19 15:43 GMT]

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Very clever Apr 19, 2016

As others have said it may be a little too subtle for some people but a great new way to get people to sit up and take notice of the perils of MT.

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
@Phil Apr 20, 2016

The tattoo was for her mother, who recently passed away. It was a sentence in Italian "Vivrai per sempre nel mio cuore" (= "You will live forever in my heart") that she wanted in English, but GT translated it as "I will always live in my heart"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Translation Agency's Clever Way to Show How Wrong Google Translate Can Be

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »