Soccer Glossary (English)

Best regards

Stefanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
French to English
Watch the TV ! Mar 5, 2005

Watch MOTD etc, you'll soon discover which English terms correspond to which French terms (I did the same process in reverse when I lived in France for a while). I'm really not sure how many web resources are going to be up to date or 'expert' enough to equate "axes" to "channels", for example.

With regard to the American glossary referred to above - I have no wish to be unkind to the person kind enough to find it for you - be cautious with USA sites and football (or soccer as they like to call it).

As sites like football365.com point out from time to time, they have invented terms and appropriated terms from American football in order to try to get the American market to understand and buy into football (e.g. "defensemen", which are what we call "defenders", and the American site's use of defenders is pure American football talk).
There are also differences in usage arising from everyday differences in BE and AE - they say "cleats" we call them "studs".
And the site is also out of date - the rule on "carrying the ball" changed a couple of seasons ago.

The truth is that glossaries in sports, as in almost any other area, are no substitute for a love of and experience in the subject matter.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:34
English to Turkish
Hello Man Mar 5, 2005

Just search the GlossPost with keywords soccer and football. (Click the "Browse/Search URL's" tab.) There are about a dozen glossaries with English-mono and English in combination with French, Spanish, Catalan, Russian so far.

Hope it helps

[Edited at 2005-03-05 16:34]

Man Cunian
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 5, 2005

Thanks but I'd like to find a paperback dictionary or very exhaustive web-based glossary, I am surprised that there seems to be no good footie dict. around. Thanks for yr help anyhow.
P.S I do watch most French and UK games on TV and am very familiar with footie terms but, out of curiosity, I want a footie dico !

James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
FR>EN football glossary Mar 6, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Watch MOTD etc, you'll soon discover which English terms correspond to which French terms.

Make sure you turn the volume down when Messrs Hansen and Lawrenson come on, though. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Charlie's right though; watching TV, listening to the radio and reading newspaper reports is the best way to pick up terms. As there seem to be no decent alternatives out there, why not compile your own glossary? If you need a hand with any English terms, let me know.

[Edited at 2005-03-06 16:14]

Empty Whiskey Glass
Local time: 10:34
Bulgarian
+ ...
My advice Mar 8, 2005

Man Cunian wrote:

I cannot find one, any suggestions ?

I remember writing a paper on word formation in foortabll terminology back in the university. I collected my corpus from various newspapers, TV and radio. And also from some English football fans I know.

Finally I collected some several hundred entries and my lecturer was impressed since he knew just a small portion of them.

So my advice is to buy all sports newspapers and magazines, watch Sky sports and especially Andy Gray and Martin Tyler if they still comment the live games. By doing so you may come accross things like "off the ball incident" or "the referee waived the play on",i.e. just what you need.

Good luck!

Man Cunian
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice Mar 10, 2005

Thanks to all, I am still amazed that there is no paperback dictionary on football but there you are, points taken on board and I shall remedy that, when I have a year or 2 to kill !

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Football dictionary Mar 10, 2005

Man Cunian wrote:

I cannot find one, any suggestions ?

There is in fact a new dictionary of football that has been released in Portugal which is excellent. Trilingual: Portuguese - English - French. I'm going to find out the details for you via a colleague who has it and revert in a day or two, as soon as I get a reply.

Keep well
Deborah

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dictionary details Mar 12, 2005

Here are the details for the dictionary - as I said it's trilingual English, Frech, Portuguese from what I can recall but please check before purchasing if you are thinking of it. Since you do translate FR»EN it may be useful

Football Dictionary - Dicionario de Futebol
Author - Pedro Filipe Henriques (pedro.henriques@almanaxi.pt)
Almanaxi Editora, Lda (www.almanaxi.pt)

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Football dictionary Mar 12, 2005

Dictionary is definitely trilingual and can be ordered from the publishers website directly under "livros" and then by clicking under the book itself where it says "compre online".

They take international orders by e-mail or fax and the method of payment is bank transfer. Price excluding postage etc is 25 euros.

If you need any help following the instructions as they are all in PT, drop me an email via my profile page.

Keep well
Debbie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary/glossary on football

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search