Google Hacks for Linguists
Thread poster: Juan Martín Fernández Rowda

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 3, 2016

Sharing a short post with some Google tricks and tips to improve and speed up your searches:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ebay-mt-language-specialists-series-google-hacks-fernández-rowda?trk=pulse_spock-articles


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tatiana Grehan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you for sharing, Juan! Aug 3, 2016

This is a very useful post. I've known and have been using many of these tips, but the one about using Google Trends is new to me. Also, I use basic image search a lot but I've never known about the advanced image search. I definitely will use it from now on! Thanks again and take care!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Add you own hacks! Aug 3, 2016

Tatiana Grehan wrote:

This is a very useful post. I've known and have been using many of these tips, but the one about using Google Trends is new to me. Also, I use basic image search a lot but I've never known about the advanced image search. I definitely will use it from now on! Thanks again and take care!


Thanks, Tatiana. I'm sure some people know some of these tips already, but they will be new to others.

It'd be great if people would add here hacks/tips/tricks they know and use, and are not in the article!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:21
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
MT group Aug 4, 2016

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda wrote:

Sharing a short post with some Google tricks and tips to improve and speed up your searches:



Thanks.
I recommend us to join the MT group who posts this helpful article to promote your professionalism.

Soonthon L.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Aug 4, 2016

[/quote]

Thanks.
I recommend us to join the MT group who posts this helpful article to promote your professionalism.

Soonthon L.

[/quote]

Thanks, Soonthon. There's a lot of interesting articles for linguists in the group. Thanks for pointing that out.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Aleksandar T.  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 09:21
Member (2015)
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 4, 2016

This is very useful.
Muchas gracias por compartirlo.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:21
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Translating terms using Google Image Search: doesn't work/can't get it to work Aug 4, 2016

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda wrote:

Sharing a short post with some Google tricks and tips to improve and speed up your searches:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ebay-mt-language-specialists-series-google-hacks-fernández-rowda?trk=pulse_spock-articles


Dear Juan,

Thank you for sharing this information. It includes one or two pieces of advice I didn't know.

But then, as regards translating terms using Google Image Search: it doesn't work/can't get it to work. The best I could do was get source language webpage hits upon pasting the picture selected and saved on my hard drive into Google Image Search.

Can you explain in detail how to go about it, please? As I am a terminology person, this is very important to me and might be to some of those reading this.

Thanks and best regards,

Sebastian Witte
www.jwstrans.net

[Edited at 2016-08-04 16:45 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Google Images Aug 4, 2016

Sebastian Witte wrote:

Can you explain in detail how to go about it, please? As I am a terminology person, this is very important to me and might be to some of those reading this.


Thanks, Sebastian! So, first, make sure you are on Google Images (https://images.google.com/) and not on Google.com. Second step, drag your image file onto the search box. It will change to display "Drop image here". Then you just drop it. You will get image search results with additional info that should help you find the right translation.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:21
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Appreciate the help Aug 6, 2016

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda wrote:

Sebastian Witte wrote:

Can you explain in detail how to go about it, please? As I am a terminology person, this is very important to me and might be to some of those reading this.


Thanks, Sebastian! So, first, make sure you are on Google Images (https://images.google.com/) and not on Google.com. Second step, drag your image file onto the search box. It will change to display "Drop image here". Then you just drop it. You will get image search results with additional info that should help you find the right translation.


Thanks very much for this explanation, Juan. I can see now it really works.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Hacks for Linguists

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search