Word count tools for web pages?
Thread poster: Andrew Stucken

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
German to English
Aug 8, 2016

I have been sent a file in .html format.

Unfortunately the online html word count tools I aw tried can do not work, and neither does copying and pasting into a Word document,

Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
My solution Aug 8, 2016

Tell the client to send you the text to be translated in Word, and that if you have to do it in HTML, your rate will be higher (for example twice the price). This is my number one condition, and (in my experience anyway) most clients have no problem sending you the text in a workable format if it's going to save them money.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
view in browser Aug 8, 2016

...and copy/paste the text in a word document should give you a quick idea of the word count.

This page, for example, has about 1015 words.
https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/?p=2680

This is an older thread on the topic. Cat tools should be able to handle html, although I don't have personal experience with it.
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/261332-website_translation_software.html

I just did a quick test of my own web page (html) and opened it in wordfast. It is straightforward and you can analyze the number of words easily with built-in tools.

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 11.38.33 AM

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried copying and pasting to Word, but... Aug 8, 2016

...it did not work.

I ended up printing the document and OCR-ing into Word.

Thankyou for your suggestions however.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Copying and pasting can land you in a whole load of problems Aug 8, 2016

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
copy/paste the text in a word document should give you a quick idea of the word count.

I did that for one client (a marketing agency) as they insisted I do it that way. Actually, it was for a whole website - not a very large one. So I dutifully did the copy/pastes and translated the text. They were happy with the translation and the invoice, until the end client pointed out that various chunks of text had been missed. We were then into highly urgent additional work for which I couldn't impose any surcharge as I was at least partly at fault. Also, I was dealing with an extremely unhappy client, who had quoted a flat rate based on my original quote. I was quite surprised when they contacted me a year later for another website translation. This time I insisted on getting the text in a Word file. Lo and behold, they came back with an urgent request for more work as they themselves had missed some text this time. But it was 100% their own fault and they had to pay my rush rate for the work. Lesson well and truly learnt for both parties.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fully agree Aug 8, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
copy/paste the text in a word document should give you a quick idea of the word count.

I did that for one client (a marketing agency) as they insisted I do it that way. Actually, it was for a whole website - not a very large one. So I dutifully did the copy/pastes and translated the text. They were happy with the translation and the invoice, until the end client pointed out that various chunks of text had been missed. We were then into highly urgent additional work for which I couldn't impose any surcharge as I was at least partly at fault. Also, I was dealing with an extremely unhappy client, who had quoted a flat rate based on my original quote. I was quite surprised when they contacted me a year later for another website translation. This time I insisted on getting the text in a Word file. Lo and behold, they came back with an urgent request for more work as they themselves had missed some text this time. But it was 100% their own fault and they had to pay my rush rate for the work. Lesson well and truly learnt for both parties.

I fully agree: I would not go by copy/pasting to translate a site and assume that I had covered everything. I believe you need to use a cat tool to process the html, or you need to understand html and work directly in the html file.

But if you want to have a quick idea of how many words roughly are on a web page, my suggestion works - but only for a simple page or a few pages, not for a more complex website. I just wanted to point out the basic idea of displaying html in a browser and copying the words. I am not sure why this didn't work for Andrew. Html pages can contain graphics with text as well, so it is indeed not simple. If that's the case, a cat tool won't pick up the text either. I usually work with clients who are specialized in handling that side of the job. Online tools like Smartling are specifically created for this purpose.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count tools for web pages?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search