Collins Sansoni ENIT dictionary new edition - any good?
Thread poster: Amy Williams

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:24
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 7, 2005

Hi,
I saw on Amazon that the new edition of the Collins Sansoni Italian (paper) dictionary has just come out (ISBN: 0007195893). Does anyone have it and is it any good?

I have the previous (??(3rd)) edition but to be honest I'm not a fan (in terms of layout and content) and I don't want to buy the next one and be unhappy with it.

I'd appreciate any advice/comments from anyone who has any info.

Thanks,
Amy

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Suggestion Apr 8, 2005

Hi Amy:

may I suggest that you repost your question on the Italian forum? I think you might find more people there who have tried the new edition of the Collins Sansoni.

Collins Sansoni is probably the same as the Rizzoli-Larousse (Sansoni 4th Edition) sold in Italy. If so it is a good dictionary, though the original very large two-volume Sansoni is still better, even though a bit outdated now.

An excellent feature available with Rizzoli-Larousse is the complete dictionary on CD-Rom: I use that all the time, as it permits full text search.

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 8, 2005

Thanks, Riccardo. Good idea - I'll put it to the Italian forum.

Thanks for the info about the CD-ROM, too.

Have a great weekend,
Amy

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
If you go for the Rizzoli-Larousse... Apr 9, 2005

I think you can buy it on-line - Internet Bookshop Italia (www.internetbookshop.it) is a good Italian internet bookshop.

I just checked and the Rizzoli-Larousse is sold both with the CD-Rom and without. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be selling the CD-Rom by itself.

Another good bilingual dictionary is Picchi's "Grande Dizionario Inglese-Italiano Italiano-Inglese" (Hoepli). If you are interested, this one is also availble on CD-Rom, and the CD-Rom may be purchased alone.

Enjoy a nice weekend!

[Edited at 2005-04-09 06:23]

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great info Apr 9, 2005

Thanks, Riccardo. Much appreciated.

Have a great weekend,
Amy

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
German to Italian
+ ...
Picchi Apr 9, 2005

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Another good bilingual dictionary is Picchi's "Grande Dizionario Inglese-Italiano Italiano-Inglese" (Hoepli). If you are interested, this one is also availble on CD-Rom, and the CD-Rom may be purchased alone.

[Edited at 2005-04-09 06:23]

Definitely. I use only the CD (which I bought some years ago together with a newspaper, at a fair price) and find it great, probably even better than Ragazzini.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collins Sansoni ENIT dictionary new edition - any good?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search