Quotations site?
Thread poster: Tatiana Neamţu

Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
Local time: 06:05
English to Romanian
+ ...
Apr 25, 2005

Can anyone, please, recommend a quotation's site? I'm particulary interested in famous quotations about "translator" and "translations" to teach and leave for commenting upon to my students. I've searched google but I've no relevant result.
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
one quotation Apr 25, 2005

Tatiana Neamtu wrote:

Can anyone, please, recommend a quotation's site? I'm particulary interested in famous quotations about "translator" and "translations" to teach and leave for commenting upon to my students. I've searched google but I've no relevant result.
Thank you!

I'd be interested in such a site too. For now I can give you one quote (in French) which I learned in one of my translation classes. I find it so wonderful, so true, so motivating (I even put it on my website ).

Quelle que soit la chose que l'on veut dire,
il n'y a qu'un mot pour l'exprimer,
qu'un verbe pour l'animer et
qu'un adjectif pour la qualifier.
Il faut donc chercher jusqu'à ce
qu'on les ait découverts,
ce mot, ce verbe, cet adjectif
et ne jamais se contenter de
l'à-peu-près, ne jamais avoir recours
à des supercheries, même heureuses,
à des clowneries de langue
pour éviter la difficulté.

Guy de Maupassant

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:05
English to Turkish
2 sites, not specifically translation-related, though Apr 25, 2005

Think Exist Quotations

and

Wisdom Quotes

Hope you can find something of interest to you in these ones

Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mda! Apr 25, 2005

Perhaps I'd find it, too! But I don't know any French at all. Thanks anyway. If I find any, I'll post!

Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 25, 2005

Xola wrote:

Think Exist Quotations

and

Wisdom Quotes

Hope you can find something of interest to you in these ones

Thank you, I'll check!

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:05
German to Italian
+ ...
another one Apr 25, 2005

not specific for translation, but you can browse topics:

http://www.worldofquotes.com/index.php

or this one

http://www.brainyquote.com/

Hope it helps, bye

RHELLER
United States
Local time: 21:05
French to English
+ ...
quotes Apr 26, 2005

"Poetry is what gets lost in translation."
-Robert Frost

http://www.quoteland.com/search.asp
--------------------

http://www.creativequotations.com/cgi-bin/sql_search3.cgi?keyword=translation&boolean=and&frank=all&field=all&database=all

Art is refining and evocative translation of the materials of the world.
Gwendolyn Brooks (1917 - 2000) US poet
In Black Poetry Writing," 1975.

As a poet and writer, I deeply love and I deeply hate words. I love the infinite evidence and change and requirements and possibilities of language.
June Jordan (1936 - ____) US writer, poet, journalist
Moving towards Home: Political Essays, "White English/Black English: The Politics of Translation," 1989.

As far as modern writing is concerned, it is rarely rewarding to translate it, although it might be easy. . . . Translation is very much like copying paintings.
Boris Pasternak (1936 - ____) US writer, poet, journalist
Interview in Writers at Work (Second Series, ed. by George Plimpton, 1963). "The only interesting sort of translating is that of classics," Pasternak believed

I do not hesitate to read. . . all good books in translations. What is really best in any book is translatable --any real insight or broad human sentiment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882) US philosopher, poet, essayist
Society and Solitude, "Books," 1870.

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Quotes & jokes about translations Apr 26, 2005

Jokes about translation on:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/srajano/jokes.html

I found the following quotes on translation at: http://en.proverbia.net/citastema.asp?tematica=1234&ntema=Translation

* Woe to the makers of literal translations, who by rendering every word weaken the meaning! It is indeed by so doing that we can say the letter kills and the spirit gives life.
Voltaire

* To translate, one must have a style of one's own, for otherwise the translation will have no rhythm or nuance, which come from the process of artistically thinking through and molding the sentences; they cannot be reconstituted by piecemeal imitation. The problem of translation is to retreat to a simpler tenor of one's own style and creatively adjust this to one's author.
Paul Goodman

And a more hopeful one:
* I do not hesitate to read all good books in translations. What is really best in any book is translatable -- any real insight or broad human sentiment.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
P.S. - I had to correct 'his' to 'one's' in Paul Goodman's quote because the error detracted from the content.

[Edited at 2005-04-26 08:18]

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
French to English
+ ...
Wikiquote Apr 26, 2005

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Main_Page

Also available in many other languages (listed in the left-hand sidebar). And it's a Wiki project, so you're free to add your own quotes.

For instance, the Romanian version is here.

[Edited at 2005-04-26 14:31]

Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 26, 2005

Thank you all for your postings. Some of the quotations posted I already knew, bur the links are absolutely fantastic. My students will have a great deal of work. I must also add that I am a translator myself and between teaching and translating I can never decide which....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quotations site?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search