Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What is going on at Eurodicatom
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
May 13, 2005

Does anyone know the implications of this message now posted on Eurodicatom (at the bottom of the page). Will this inter-institutional database be open to all? Anyone out there connected enough with the Commission who can let us know what they have in mind?

"Please note that, because of the migration to the new interinstitutional database IATE, Eurodicautom will no longer be updated. We shall keep you informed about further developments."

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:59
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
IATE May 13, 2005

writeaway wrote:

Does anyone know the implications of this message now posted on Eurodicatom (at the bottom of the page). Will this inter-institutional database be open to all? Anyone out there connected enough with the Commission who can let us know what they have in mind?

"Please note that, because of the migration to the new interinstitutional database IATE, Eurodicautom will no longer be updated. We shall keep you informed about further developments."

Eurodicautom will form part of a single terminology database called IATE, which will also include TIS and will be available to freelance translators. Therefore, new terms are no longer entered in Eurodicautom.
"IATE is the EU inter-institutional terminology database system. Once fully online, it will be used for the collection, dissemination and shared management of EU-specific terminology. This system will be multilingual and will be available to EU agencies and institutions, freelance translators and European citizens."

You can read more about it at http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/2294/565 and http://europa.eu.int/idabc/jsps/documents/dsp_showPrinterDocument.jsp?docID=2294&lg=en

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The same thing is Celex/Eur-Lex May 13, 2005

This is a transitional period, but we are not cut away from the existing database: we can use it, all by knowing that a new system is emerging.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Daphne and Eva! May 13, 2005

Chiara_M
Chiara_M  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
New link May 13, 2005

Iate, a new ressource

https://iate.cdt.eu.int/iatenew/Plogin.jsp

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:59
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
European citizens???? May 13, 2005

What does this mean?

As a freelance, no matter where I am?

As a no freelance, do I have to live in Europe or do I have to show my passport?

Strange precision for a website.

Claudia

Daphne Theodoraki wrote:
s system will be multilingual and will be available to EU agencies and institutions, freelance translators and European citizens."
[/quote]

Daphne Theodoraki
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Available to all May 13, 2005

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

What does this mean?

As a freelance, no matter where I am?

As a no freelance, do I have to live in Europe or do I have to show my passport?

Strange precision for a website.

Claudia

Well, yes, it is strange I suppose, but all EU sites always mention "European citizens" and not "citizens of the world" As most of them serve as a source of information on EU issues, it's sort of taken for granted that only Europeans are interested in them and use them - or they just want to emphasize the efforts made by the EU to communicate with its citizens and offer them information - hence the "European" bit. But of course they 're available to everyone, there's no restriction on users' geographical location.
Also a note: the IATE site is not new. The problem with it right now is that it seems like it only allows a certain number of users to be logged on simultaneously, so certain parts of the day it's almost impossible to have access to it (an error message appears). Hopefully this will no longer be the case when it starts functioning properly as a single term bank incorporating the databases of all EU bodies.

[Edited at 2005-05-13 14:51]

hirselina
hirselina
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
IATE May 13, 2005

in reply tp another question, I posted this April 29 :

As far as I know, all European Union terminological databases (EURODICAUTOM: the European Commission's multilingual term bank, TIS: Terminological Information System of The General Secretariat of the Council of the European Union and EUTERPE: Exploitation Unifiée de la Terminologie au Parlement Européen) have been merged into one big database, called IATE (EU inter-institutional terminology database system).

For
... See more
in reply tp another question, I posted this April 29 :

As far as I know, all European Union terminological databases (EURODICAUTOM: the European Commission's multilingual term bank, TIS: Terminological Information System of The General Secretariat of the Council of the European Union and EUTERPE: Exploitation Unifiée de la Terminologie au Parlement Européen) have been merged into one big database, called IATE (EU inter-institutional terminology database system).

For explanation, see:
http://www.unilat.org/dtil/etis/actasTDCnet/macphail.htm

This means that the old databases, like Eurodicautom and TIS will NOT be updated anymore, even if they are still available on the net, like Eurodicautom or the Council database (http://tis.consilium.eu.int).

IATE contains a lot of entries relating to the same term but you should be able to choose any particular old database (Council, Commission, Parliament). However, IATE seems to be VERY slow sometimes.
Collapse

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I got logged out! Jun 24, 2005

Chiara M. wrote:

Iate, a new ressource

https://iate.cdt.eu.int/iatenew/Plogin.jsp[/quote]

I tried to use it several times, but only as a guest...and after a while I get logged out...Why? Is there a way I can log in? I haven't been able to figure it out myself...

TIA

C.

Daphne Theodoraki
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Session expires Jun 25, 2005

Chiara M. wrote:

Iate, a new ressource

https://iate.cdt.eu.int/iatenew/Plogin.jsp[/quote]

I tried to use it several times, but only as a guest...and after a while I get logged out...Why? Is there a way I can log in? I haven't been able to figure it out myself...

TIA

C.[/quote]

If there's a prolonged time of inactivity, the session expires and you have to start from the beginning again, i.e. go to the home page and log in again.
PS. we 're all 'guests'

hirselina
hirselina
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
IATE log out Jun 27, 2005

[quote]I tried to use it several times, but only as a guest...and after a while I get logged out...Why? Is there a way I can log in? I haven't been able to figure it out myself...

As far as I know, you will have to log on again every two hours

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:59
German to English
+ ...
Not accessible at 0113 hours! Jun 27, 2005

Hi

I am in Perth, Australia and am trying to access Eurodicatom at 0713 Western Australian time (0113 in Europe). I am getting the same message every time ("no more connections available"). I tried to acccess the new site once, without success.

Robin

Stephanie Huss
Stephanie Huss  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Same with me Jun 30, 2005

I've been trying to search worsd on Eurodicautom for several days now, be it in the morning or late afternoon or noon, "no more connections available" is all I ever get... That's a real problem.

Donna Lynne Galletta
Donna Lynne Galletta  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
update? Aug 17, 2005

at first I could access the new version at IATE but now it seems that access is limited to an elite group
nice move

Telemarker
Telemarker
French to English
No more guests... ? Aug 23, 2005

Cristina Mazzucchelli wrote:

Chiara M. wrote:

Iate, a new ressource

https://iate.cdt.eu.int/iatenew/Plogin.jsp

TIA

C.[/quote]

IATE is currently only available to registered IATE users of the European Institutions.

If you don't have a username and password please consult your colleagues responsible for Terminology in your Institution.

One door opens another door shuts !

Simon

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is going on at Eurodicatom

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »