What Eng>Fr>Eng dictionary would you recommend?
Thread poster: Paul Mably (X)
Paul Mably (X)
Paul Mably (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2002

I\'ll be upgrading my Eng > Fr > Eng dictionary soon, and would appreciate your thoughts on which has been the most useful for you as a translator.

(Or does everyone simply use the on-line dictionaries these days?)

Thanks , all!

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
French to English
+ ...
Robert & Collins Super Senior Jun 11, 2002

As a general use dictionary, I really like this one in two volumes. It has many more entries than the standard Robert & Collins. I bought this in France. I\'m not sure if it s available in the UK or elesewhere. If so, the name may be slightly different, since \"Super Senior\" sounds a bit weird in English!

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:35
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agree with Colin Jun 11, 2002

Roberts & Collins Super Senior is a real good one as a general dictionary.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:35
German to English
+ ...
Comprehensive French-English Jun 11, 2002

I agree with Colin that this is a very good dictionary! It\'s just a shame that it\'s not available on CD (there\'d certainly be a fair queue of us lining up for it if it were!)

Anyway, the 2-volume version is called the Collins-Robert Comprehensive French-English Dictionary in the UK and costs GBP 42.49 from Amazon (see link b
... See more
I agree with Colin that this is a very good dictionary! It\'s just a shame that it\'s not available on CD (there\'d certainly be a fair queue of us lining up for it if it were!)

Anyway, the 2-volume version is called the Collins-Robert Comprehensive French-English Dictionary in the UK and costs GBP 42.49 from Amazon (see link below).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/000472433X/qid=1023777973/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_3_2/202-1512000-9211857

Unfortunately, the general dictionaries available on CD-ROM are less comprehensive, but are OK for everyday use. These include the Hachette and the Harraps. But it is worth having at least one general dictionary on CD-ROM because it makes the consultation process so much shorter, so you end up looking up much more than you would otherwise have done.

HTH

Mary
Collapse

Bart B. Van Bockstaele
Bart B. Van Bockstaele  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:35
Dutch
+ ...
Collins-Robert Comprehensive Jun 11, 2002

Two volumes: EF-FE

It is based on the Collins-Robert French Dictionary (In France: Robert & Collins Sénior).

It is by far the best general English-French dictionary I know of.

It\'s also the one I use ^_^.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-11 10:23 ]

Paul Mably (X)
Paul Mably (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Then it's unanimous! Jun 15, 2002

Thanks to all four of you for your guidance. I was leaning toward the Harraps Unabridged, but I\'ll reconsider. I also like what I\'ve seen of the Collins Robert Comprehensive, and will now re-assess.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What Eng>Fr>Eng dictionary would you recommend?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »