What software do you use to look for terms in reference documents?
Thread poster: Serena Marangoni

Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:20
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 9

I often receive projects with a lot of reference documents. I'm actually working on a project that has 10 previously translated documents (varying in lenght from 50 to 180 pages). What I've done in this project so far, is to open all the documents on acrobat (soure and target - 20 in total) and use advanced search to search in all documents at once when I want to see if a term has been used before.
Acrobat doesn't handle these many documents well... it often crashes.
I know I could build an alignment for the previous translations but decided against that because of time constrains (and because I would actually only use it for terms, rather than as TM)
Does anybody know of a software that could be useful?

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
HoudahSpot Jan 9

If you're on a Mac, you can use HoudahSpot: https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/328319-using_houdahspot_to_search_parallel_pdf_files.html

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:20
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search in Windows Explorer Jan 9

Assuming the reference material is in an editable format, place them in a seperate folder and search for the term using Windows explorer.

Jorge Payan

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 18:20
English to German
Index search is the key Jan 10

Lars Jelking wrote:

Assuming the reference material is in an editable format, place them in a seperate folder and search for the term using Windows explorer.

An additional hint: In order to make this work you have to enable Windows' Indexing Service on that folder. Windows Explorer needs that service, otherwise the search is extremely slow.

BTW, Windows' Indexing Service can be used more comfortably than via Windoiws Explorer. Use the Omni-Lookup software and create a data source of type "Index". Just one click displays all hits in that folder plus - optionally - in many other sources (Web, TM's, Excel's, ...) simultaneously and side-by-side,

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:20
Member (2008)
French to English
Copernic Jan 10

It's been a long time now, but I used to use Copernic. I think they have a free version. http://www.copernic.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What software do you use to look for terms in reference documents?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search