XML translation
Thread poster: sylver
sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
English to French
Jun 24, 2005

If you want to learn the basics of XML translation, I just wrote and uploaded an article on the subject.

You can find it at
XML translation

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2005-06-24 12:13]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Corrected URL Jun 24, 2005

That URL won't work in my browser. Try this one:
http://www.your-translations.com/translators_knowledge/
and the click the "XML translation/" link and the next link too.

I'll read the article when I get back from holidays, but it looks promising in a single glance.

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:39
English to Romanian
+ ...
Incorrect link, Sylvain Jun 24, 2005

sylver wrote:

If you want to learn the basics of XML translation, I just wrote and uploaded an article on the subject.

You can find it at
www.your-translations.com/translators_knowledge/XML%20translation/XML_translation_basics_1.htm

Cheers,
Sylvain

Here is the correct one.

Thanks for the info, should help clarifying things a bit for most of us.

Regards

[Edited at 2005-06-24 11:32]

sylver
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jun 24, 2005

Doru Voin wrote:

sylver wrote:

You can find it at
www.your-translations.com/translators_knowledge/XML%20translation/XML_translation_basics_1.htm

Cheers,
Sylvain

Here is the correct one.

Thanks for the info, should help clarifying things a bit for most of us.

Regards

[Edited at 2005-06-24 11:32]

Corrected above too.

Cheers,
Sylvain

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
good, clear beginners articles on HTML and XML Jun 24, 2005

Hello Sylvain,

I've just read through your HTML and XML articles on your web site. After having taught SGML to technical writers and translators for 2 years and XML implementation to test teams and technical writers over the past few years, I found your 2 articles to be very well adapted to audiences that are not highly technical. You mention in your articles that you tend to oversimply things, and that is very good because so much what is written tends to assume that the reader a
... See more
Hello Sylvain,

I've just read through your HTML and XML articles on your web site. After having taught SGML to technical writers and translators for 2 years and XML implementation to test teams and technical writers over the past few years, I found your 2 articles to be very well adapted to audiences that are not highly technical. You mention in your articles that you tend to oversimply things, and that is very good because so much what is written tends to assume that the reader already knows something about it.

I'll definitely point novice readers to your articles on these topics.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/
Collapse

sylver
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jef Jun 25, 2005

Always nice to hear.

I am compiling a list of websites offering tutorials on these subjects. If you have resources to recommend or if you see improvments to be made, drop me a note.

Cheers,
Sylvain

Levente Bodrossy Dr.
Levente Bodrossy Dr.  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How to convert a pdf to xml and back Jun 25, 2005

sylver wrote:

You can find it at
XML translation

Cheers,
Sylvain

Hy Sylver,

Is there a straightforward way to convert a pdf file to xml, translate it as a tagged document (I am using Wordfast and tagging seems to be OK, at least with html), and convert it back to pdf? I have Acrobat to save files as xml 1.0, but did not find a way to convert it back. What I am looking for is a simple solution for dummies...

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Lev

sylver
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
PDF to XML? Jun 25, 2005

Levente Bodrossy Dr. wrote:

sylver wrote:

You can find it at
XML translation

Cheers,
Sylvain

Hy Sylver,

Is there a straightforward way to convert a pdf file to xml, translate it as a tagged document (I am using Wordfast and tagging seems to be OK, at least with html), and convert it back to pdf? I have Acrobat to save files as xml 1.0, but did not find a way to convert it back. What I am looking for is a simple solution for dummies...

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Lev

Not that I am aware of. There is probably a techie way to mess around with it but we are definitely not talking about "for dummies" here.

PDF is a pain. It was never meant to be translated in the first place, nor even edited.

I think that if you really have to work with PDFs, the best way to go is a good OCR program. You can find a lot of posts related to PDF on Proz.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »