Thread poster: Christian Erwig-Straughan
Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Italian to English
+ ...
ProZ isn't just about jobs. Jun 19, 2002

If you look at everything on this site (and there\'s a lot, really), you\'ll find that getting jobs is a nice feature, but it isn\'t what makes or breaks the site. I wouldn\'t dream of relying on proZ for all my jobs either. What has been of use to me is the kudoZ/glossary sections. I know that they get a lot of criticism, but overall, they are of great help when you\'re stuck on that one word/phrase you can\'t make heads or tails of. That alone to me is worth the price.

If it\'s j
... See more
If you look at everything on this site (and there\'s a lot, really), you\'ll find that getting jobs is a nice feature, but it isn\'t what makes or breaks the site. I wouldn\'t dream of relying on proZ for all my jobs either. What has been of use to me is the kudoZ/glossary sections. I know that they get a lot of criticism, but overall, they are of great help when you\'re stuck on that one word/phrase you can\'t make heads or tails of. That alone to me is worth the price.

If it\'s jobs you\'re looking for, pick up a phone book and look under translation agencies or do a search for agencies online.
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Exactly Rick! Jun 19, 2002

ProZ.com is not only about jobs.

Just have a look at the wealth of information being posted by colleagues in the different forums, look at the convenience of being able to post questions, upload a complete profile, form teams, check on agencies or air your opinion about one, get in touch with literally thousands of colleagues worldwide, etc etc

120 USD can\'t be considered a fortune, no matter where you live. Actually, if you\'ve been around on the site,
... See more
ProZ.com is not only about jobs.

Just have a look at the wealth of information being posted by colleagues in the different forums, look at the convenience of being able to post questions, upload a complete profile, form teams, check on agencies or air your opinion about one, get in touch with literally thousands of colleagues worldwide, etc etc

120 USD can\'t be considered a fortune, no matter where you live. Actually, if you\'ve been around on the site, you only pay 60 USD (as you can pay the remainder in BrowniZ).

And we shouldn\'t forget that it\'s your contribution that enables ProZ.com to hire fulltime staff (e.g. Jason who works his butt off to write programs and implement IT related features (rates and GPA are coming up), Marta who gets in touch with advertisers and answers most support queries, etc etc).

On top of that, obtain one small job either through bidding or through your profile page (if properly filled out) and your membership contribution is fully paid for.

I can vouch for that.

In short, go for it, no doubt about it.
[addsig]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:00
SITE FOUNDER
Remember: you gain clients, not just jobs (and more) Jun 19, 2002

ProZ.com is not just about jobs. But even if it were, it would be worth the $120.

I\'ll put it in terms of my experience as a freelancer:

Over the two years I worked as a translator, repeat business meant that each of my clients sent me between $500 and $10,000 worth of work. My best source of jobs was Tokyo\'s FCC (Forum for Corporate communications), which cost me about $300+/yr, plus $50 or so per event. At FCC, I met several clients, so the membership paid for
... See more
ProZ.com is not just about jobs. But even if it were, it would be worth the $120.

I\'ll put it in terms of my experience as a freelancer:

Over the two years I worked as a translator, repeat business meant that each of my clients sent me between $500 and $10,000 worth of work. My best source of jobs was Tokyo\'s FCC (Forum for Corporate communications), which cost me about $300+/yr, plus $50 or so per event. At FCC, I met several clients, so the membership paid for itself perhaps 20 times over. Fringe benefits (actually more valuable than the business) included the friendships I made, the interesting speakers I heard, the chance to compete for awards, etc.

At ProZ.com, which costs just $120/yr, I would only need to get a single client once every 5 years or so to make the investment worthwhile. And the other 90% of what ProZ.com is--the fun stuff--I would consider icing on the cake.

In short, if you are a professional translator, there is no reason not to go platinum.(Or maybe I am just biased. )
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:00
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So far... Jun 20, 2002

I\'m a johnnie-come-lately and in two months have got only one e-mail from an agency; nothing else. After reading other proz\'s messages I\'m getting a little hope. I wonder whether having just a few KudoZ points has anything to do with getting jobs.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Too cute Henry ;-) Jun 20, 2002

LOL you\'re too cute Henry

and I\'m managing to get the cement powder out of my keyboard (forgive my typos on my previous message - had to switch to a much older keyboard as my cordless one actually has cement dust under the keys and they are stuck in place - long story about renovations and flying cement particules everywhere hahaha!!!)

Anyhow, indeed, Proz is much more than just a place to get jobs and I
... See more
LOL you\'re too cute Henry

and I\'m managing to get the cement powder out of my keyboard (forgive my typos on my previous message - had to switch to a much older keyboard as my cordless one actually has cement dust under the keys and they are stuck in place - long story about renovations and flying cement particules everywhere hahaha!!!)

Anyhow, indeed, Proz is much more than just a place to get jobs and I love it here.

The support, the friendships, and the \"camaraderie\" is just fabulous and I\'ve met such nice professional people here - it makes me proud to be amongst such a great bunch of people

I also agree that I don\'t think a lot of outsourcers in Quebec would actually come on here to post jobs given the strong English nature of this site.

Speaking of which, I keep hearing people talk about other language versions of Proz.com - How do we get to view those?

I\'m curious as usual!!!

Have a great evening folks,

Regards,

Nathalie
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:00
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Other versions, for Nathalie Jun 20, 2002

Hi Nathalie

Above your name in the left of the screen you have the language. Choose for example French (you have to write it in English) and don\'t forget to \"enter\".

The problem you\'ll find is that there are mistakes, and I don\'t know to whom may we suggest changes.

Claudia

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Merci Claudia! Jun 21, 2002

Ahhhh je vois!!! I see, I see...

I never really paid attention

I think I will stick to the English version, old habits die hard as they say!

Thanks again Claudia

Nathalie

Maryse Trevithick
Maryse Trevithick  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Arabic
+ ...
It definitely opens a door Jun 21, 2002

I was quite reluctant at first whether I should or shouldn\'t. As a lot said earlier, it\'s not only about jobs, I\'m sure you know as well, that public relations takes you half way... But I can tell you that since I upgraded, I definitely got my money back

Monika Martens
Monika Martens
Italian to Albanian
+ ...
In memoriam
let me know... Aug 8, 2002

when you decide to do it, I am thinking of upgrading my membership too.

Reading the mails published here, it doesn\'t bring me a step further than where I was before I read them... To do or not to do it...that is the question!

Rebecca Freed
Rebecca Freed  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
French to English
+ ...
This month it's a pretty compelling deal... Aug 8, 2002

If you haven\'t already bought a CAT tool (I haven\'t), the membership combined with the software does seem like a bargain.

I think the site is worth subsidizing because of the networking and information available here. Also, as someone who has worked on dynamic, interactive Web sites, I am really impressed with the way this one works.

The only thing that\'s keeping me from kicking in my $120 is that I\'m not a working translator (yet), and I\'ve just p
... See more
If you haven\'t already bought a CAT tool (I haven\'t), the membership combined with the software does seem like a bargain.

I think the site is worth subsidizing because of the networking and information available here. Also, as someone who has worked on dynamic, interactive Web sites, I am really impressed with the way this one works.

The only thing that\'s keeping me from kicking in my $120 is that I\'m not a working translator (yet), and I\'ve just paid the ATA\'s yearly dues and test fees, which are pretty steep. If I don\'t end up doing any paying translation work this year, I won\'t be able to deduct any of these costs on my taxes. But I might still go platinum before the end of this month, because I was considering buying MetaTexis anyway.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is ProZ.com Platinum worth it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »