Slovak to English resources
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:39
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2005

Hello everyone.

I've been trying for some time, actually over a year, to locate a bookstore in Slovakia, e.g., Bratislava, for the simple purpose of buying books, dictionaries, etc.

However, I run in to unimaginable problems (almost Kafkaesqueicon_smile.gif, e.g., voice recordings, clerks unable to speak English, when I call two bookstores I was referred to by the embassy, i.e., Ariadne and Bardot. This is not meant as a criticism, but it has got to be simpler.

Can someone point me to a well-stocked bookstore there. e.g., a university bookstore.
Phone number and e-mail, if available.

I am not in Europe, so asking me to simply visit one, as someone did in a Yahoo forum, would not be the first option on my agenda.

TIA
Yngve

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not speak Slovak Jul 7, 2005

If you can read their books you should be able to place your order in the local language. How many bookstores in England serve Slovak speaking customers?
No offence meant!
Regards
Heinrich

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Slovak language oral/aural skills explained Jul 7, 2005

I don't live in England, and I understand spoken Slovak only with difficulty, but more importantly I do not speak Slovak. I do read "their" books, though. If I had a website I would be able to place an order.

Someone replied off-forum with some useful information apparently, though.

Yngve

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you can read their books you should be able to place your order in the local language. How many bookstores in England serve Slovak speaking customers?
No offence meant!
Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-07-07 15:31]

André Fernandes
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Panta Rhei Jul 8, 2005

Hey Yngve Roennike

I was living in Bratislava for the last four months and for me Panta Rhei at Aupark is the best bookstore. This is the phone number:4210263530553!

Hope it will be usefull.

André Fernandes.

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good news! Jul 8, 2005

Thanks very much Andre,

however something seems to be wrong with the phone number you showed, I get a message saying call cannot be completed as dialed, but not to worry, I found their web site, and from then on in it was pretty easy. Someone there spoke English quite well. We'll see how it goes.

Andremf wrote:

Hey Yngve Roennike

I was living in Bratislava for the last four months and for me Panta Rhei at Aupark is the best bookstore. This is the phone number:4210263530553!

Hope it will be usefull.

André Fernandes.

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Continuing the odyssey Jul 10, 2005

Well, they came up with suggesting pretty much the same dictionary that I already have, which is not very spectacular. Funny thing is that I know for sure that there are these resources out there, in particular a technical and commercial dictionary for Slovak to English. So where does one get them? Seems like a straightforward and simple question to meicon_smile.gif

Actually, now, I was informed following my own research that www.czech-books.com will be carrying advanced Slovak reference works and resources soon, as they've had inquiries for this from nearby universities. They are located in adjacent Canada.

[Edited at 2005-07-16 17:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slovak to English resources

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search