Thread poster: eva75
Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 16:58
Turkish to English
+ ...
I have had dealings with the Notary Public in the UK Jul 22, 2005

I was freelancing in the UK for a couple of years, and had some limited dealings with the Notary Public there.
I know that these officials have a much more limited function in the UK than in most other countries. Every solicitor's office is empowered to swear in translations and solicitors handle a lot of other functions dealt with by the Notary Public elsewhere. Twice I was specifically instructed to have translations sworn in by a Notary Public rather than a solicitor. In doing so, I mad
... See more
I was freelancing in the UK for a couple of years, and had some limited dealings with the Notary Public there.
I know that these officials have a much more limited function in the UK than in most other countries. Every solicitor's office is empowered to swear in translations and solicitors handle a lot of other functions dealt with by the Notary Public elsewhere. Twice I was specifically instructed to have translations sworn in by a Notary Public rather than a solicitor. In doing so, I made the following discoveries:
1 There are very few of these officials in the UK and they appear to be full-time lawyers who perform this function as a sideline.
2 It is much more expensive to have translations sworn in by them than by a solicitor.
3 The Notary Public who swore in my translations could not understand why the client wanted them sworn in by him and not a solicitor as they were purely domestic documents, and he said in the UK only documents required by courts in other countries need to go through the Notary Public.
This is not very detailed information, I know, but I have never really investigated the role of these officials in the UK. I hope this anecdotal evidence is of some assistance.
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Men in Mexico Jul 22, 2005

Ana Brause wrote:
Hi Juan, guess what? I'm a Notary Public and I am a woman...

Another "characteristic" of Notary Publics in Mexico is that almost all tend to be men... do not ask me why, and I think this should change, but if anybody knows of a Mexican female Notary Public, I would be interested to know!

Can Altinbay wrote:
Then should it be translated as Notary Public?

Of course, the name in Spanish is Notario Público; IMO, the fact that their functions vary from country to country has nothing to do with the name.

[Edited at 2005-07-22 13:01]

nruddy
nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:58
German to English
Not really comparable Jul 22, 2005

I'm not from the UK, but in Ireland we have a similar legal system. There, a solicitor does what a "notary public" does in Spanish-speaking countries. You don't really see many signs for notaries around. The only time I came across one was when I had to get an apostille for the Spanish translation of my birth cert. The accompanying letter says
"I, (notary's name), Notary Public, (address) do hereby certify that...."
Signed "(name) Notary Public, Commissioned for Life".
The fir
... See more
I'm not from the UK, but in Ireland we have a similar legal system. There, a solicitor does what a "notary public" does in Spanish-speaking countries. You don't really see many signs for notaries around. The only time I came across one was when I had to get an apostille for the Spanish translation of my birth cert. The accompanying letter says
"I, (notary's name), Notary Public, (address) do hereby certify that...."
Signed "(name) Notary Public, Commissioned for Life".
The firm's header says they are solicitors.
The only person I know of who may be able to help you is Margaret Marks (http://www.margaret-marks.com/address.htm). She is a British translator who trained as a solicitor and, while she translates from German into English, she'd surely be able to tell you about notaries in Britain if she has time.
Collapse

nruddy
nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:58
German to English
I know one! Jul 22, 2005

Hi Rosa,
I know one in Puebla!
Niamh

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Good to hear that! Jul 22, 2005

Niamh Ruddy wrote:
Hi Rosa,
I know one in Puebla!
Niamh

Even though it is hard to believe, especially in Puebla which is even more, er, let's say conservative than Mexico City. No, seriously, I am glad to hear that women are finally gaining recognition in this profession in Mexico.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 01:58
Chinese to English
Notaries public in China... Jul 23, 2005

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:m6YHqDVZ2qYJ:www.notaries.bc.ca/article.php3?195%20China%20notary%20public&hl=en
... See more
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:m6YHqDVZ2qYJ:www.notaries.bc.ca/article.php3?195%20China%20notary%20public&hl=en

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:LtdLZs9kUPcJ:www.lawsociety.com.au/page.asp?partid=5738%20China%20notary%20public&hl=en

Sorry, I see you wanted an answer from the UK...

[Edited at 2005-07-24 05:06]
Collapse

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Juan Jacob was joking Jul 23, 2005

Hi Can,

I think Juan Jacob was joking!

Can Altinbay wrote:

Juan Jacob wrote:

...who signs a lot of papers and make you sign the same ones you don't understand and take money right out of your pocket, and a lot!
Ain't that right?

A notary public is someone who verifies that a document was signed by the person whose signature is on it. I have no idea how that relates to what you described.

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for contributions! Jul 23, 2005

Many thanks to all that have helped with my research on notaries. Things are a little clearer now!

A special thanks to Jana, from Latvia, for the link to the Notaries Society in the UK. I think I'll be taking my definition from here!

Thank you also to Tim Drayton. Your information on dealings with the Notary Public in the UK were much appreciated.

To sum up, I think it must be quite expensive to take the notary exams in the UK and as you said, Tim, a notary
... See more
Many thanks to all that have helped with my research on notaries. Things are a little clearer now!

A special thanks to Jana, from Latvia, for the link to the Notaries Society in the UK. I think I'll be taking my definition from here!

Thank you also to Tim Drayton. Your information on dealings with the Notary Public in the UK were much appreciated.

To sum up, I think it must be quite expensive to take the notary exams in the UK and as you said, Tim, a notary's functions in the UK are more limited. These two reasons probably go to explain why notaries are not so common in the UK.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Role of Notary Public?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »