https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/35045-alchemy_catalist_rc_wintrans_winhelp_and_robohelp.html

Alchemy Catalist, RC-Wintrans, Winhelp and Robohelp
Thread poster: Francesco Barbuto
Francesco Barbuto
Francesco Barbuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 25, 2005

Hi,

Could somebody please tell me something about those softwares.

In particular, I would love to know if Alchemy Catalist and RC-Wintrans are similar programs that operate on the same types of source files and so, if I would need or not to buy both of them.

As well, do Robohelp and Winhelp operate on the same types of source files? Do I nedd to buy both of them?

Any information on feateures, prices, ratings will be greatly appreciated.<
... See more
Hi,

Could somebody please tell me something about those softwares.

In particular, I would love to know if Alchemy Catalist and RC-Wintrans are similar programs that operate on the same types of source files and so, if I would need or not to buy both of them.

As well, do Robohelp and Winhelp operate on the same types of source files? Do I nedd to buy both of them?

Any information on feateures, prices, ratings will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

DaSH

[Edited at 2005-07-25 11:06]
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Catalyst Jul 25, 2005

I can only talk about Catalyst, which I have used several times for localization projects. It is a graphic interface that lets you translate strings, dialogs, etc. You can work with a free version of Catalyst, but projects will have to be processed in the full version of Catalyst, which agencies may have (the agency I work for obviously has a full version of Catalyst). It is easy to learn, although it is a little bit time consuming.

... See more
I can only talk about Catalyst, which I have used several times for localization projects. It is a graphic interface that lets you translate strings, dialogs, etc. You can work with a free version of Catalyst, but projects will have to be processed in the full version of Catalyst, which agencies may have (the agency I work for obviously has a full version of Catalyst). It is easy to learn, although it is a little bit time consuming.

P.
www.pbayle.com
Collapse

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 07:39
German to French
+ ...
Catalyst and RoboHelp Jul 25, 2005

Hi,

As far as I know, Catalyst and RC-Wintrans work the same way.
I remember comparing the use of both of them and preferred Catalyst from far. But the price difference was also very big between them (Catalyst is the most expensive one, but also the most complete to translate RC files).

WinHelp is a format of help system that RoboHelp can handle.
RoboHelp has become quite stable and user-friendly.
It is used to create help systems in HLP, CHM or JavaHe
... See more
Hi,

As far as I know, Catalyst and RC-Wintrans work the same way.
I remember comparing the use of both of them and preferred Catalyst from far. But the price difference was also very big between them (Catalyst is the most expensive one, but also the most complete to translate RC files).

WinHelp is a format of help system that RoboHelp can handle.
RoboHelp has become quite stable and user-friendly.
It is used to create help systems in HLP, CHM or JavaHelp format.
I know that they also created some formats on their own, which are not bad. You can have more information on the Macromedia website (they bought eHelp 2 years ago I think).

HTH

Caroline
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
... Jul 25, 2005

Francesco Barbuto wrote:

1. You don't have to buy WinHelp - both WinHelp and HTML Help Microsoft compilers are free.
2. It's hard to say whether RoboHelp and WinHelp operate on the same types of source files. You can create many types of Help systems from sigle source in RoboHelp. Could you get more information?

HTH,
Wojtek

Francesco Barbuto
Francesco Barbuto  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Jul 25, 2005

Thank you very much to everybody.

Regards,

DaSH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alchemy Catalist, RC-Wintrans, Winhelp and Robohelp

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »