Google Desktop Search version 2
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
French to English
Aug 22, 2005

http://desktop.google.com/
This is not strictly a translator resource, of course, but at first glance it seems at long last to provide the sort of global "control panel" I have been looking for. Would be interested to know what others think of it.

Best
Barnaby

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-22 17:18]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Good search always needed! Aug 22, 2005

Hi Barnaby,
Thanks for the link, very useful indeed.

BTW, I edited a small typo in your title - actually when read in Polish, it was so hillarious (it was Srach...)
Thanks for the link and good fun!

Magda

[Edited at 2005-08-22 17:23]

Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:32
English to Italian
+ ...
there is another thread..... Aug 22, 2005

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

http://desktop.google.com/
This is not strictly a translator resource, of course, but at first glance it seems at long last to provide the sort of global "control panel" I have been looking for. Would be interested to know what others think of it.

Best
Barnaby

... where this was discussed and you can find other suggesions there.
In any case, I was about to open this thread myself since I spent most of the day trying to get it to work. I want to access the Microsoft glossaries which are in .csv format (or .zip), but GDS seems to ignore their content.
I have loaded Wilbur, but it takes for ever to check one word. Copernic seems to get stuck with the size of the files in the glossaries (obviously for them size does matter!!!), so I was trying to get GDS to work properly, but nae joy.
I forgot to add that I use Firefox.

Andrea

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Copernic does everything but can't handle anything bigger than 2 MB Aug 22, 2005

Andrea Re wrote:

Copernic seems to get stuck with the size of the files in the glossaries (obviously for them size does matter!!!), so I was trying to get GDS to work properly, but nae joy.
I forgot to add that I use Firefox.

Andrea

Copernic does everything you want but can't handle anything bigger than 2 MB. It just hangs when you want to open a hit in your larger TMs. When you e-mail them about this, they act as if you speak Martian. Too bad because I like the program.

Regards,
Gerard

Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback Aug 22, 2005

I agree with you about Copernic, Gerard. I still think that, strictly as a deskstop search product, it leads the pack by virtue of its clean interface and the way it highlights the search word/phrase in the preview panel. But speed is an issue, of course.
What I like about the Google update is the side panel (which of course can be customised) and also the fact that Google is supposed to keep track of your movements and provide news stories that tally with your interests. We'll have to see how this works out in practice.

Thanks for the correction Magda!

Best

Barnaby

Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Microsoft glossaries&Google desktop search Aug 22, 2005

Hi again,

if I search for
Add and Remove Programs
it finds a hit.

If I search for
Open Database Connectivity
it finds none (while with Wilbur you'll see there are loads of hits).
These are just 2 random strings I tried to look for.... why is it not working consistently?? Any clues???

Andrea

PS
I tried IE as well, but got the same results.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Desktop Search version 2

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search