Thread poster: Bianca AH
Bianca AH  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:10
French to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good online resource for the etymology of French words. I know that Le Petit Robert provides the etymology for each entry, and sadly what I have, Larousse, does not! I need to provide the etymologie for French photography terms. So far what I've found is insufficient and user-unfriendly.

Thanks!
Bianca

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-09-30 13:47]

Direct link Reply with quote

lenkl
French to English
Trésor de la langue française Oct 2, 2005

The best source on the Web that I know of for general vocabulary is the TLF, at
http://atilf.atilf.fr/tlf.htm.
You find some etymology under the heaading Etymol, et Hist. toward the bottom of the definitions.
Good luck.

Bianca AH  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Oct 2, 2005

Thank, Lenkl! I've just tried out the site - definitely a gem worthy of my favourites list ;o)

Kind regards,
Bianca

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
No dot! Oct 6, 2005

It's really a great site, thanks for sharing! When clicking on the link, though, take care not to copy the dot at the end, otherwise you will get that famous "Not available"...

Charlotte

Paul VALET  Identity Verified
France
Quite good Oct 7, 2005

lenkl wrote:

The best source on the Web that I know of for general vocabulary is the TLF, at
http://atilf.atilf.fr/tlf.htm.
You find some etymology under the heaading Etymol, et Hist. toward the bottom of the definitions.
Good luck.

It is a good source. It is even better if you buy it and have it on your PC, for the various functions added.

Regards,

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for: French etymology online resource

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search