Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:25
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 23, 2005

I have as of yet to find any good translation resources from Turkmen to English in the USA. Can anyone recommend (especially natives) good dictionaires and other resources I can purchase or get from translating from Turkmen to English? Any help would be appreciated.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-23 01:36]

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 12:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
Turkmen (as spoken in N central / NW region of Iraq) or Turkmenistan? Oct 23, 2005

Greetings.

Are you refering to (1) the Turkmen (as spoken in N central / NW region of Iraq) or (2) national language of Turkmenistan?

If (1), there are very few such bilingual dictionaries or glossaries around (all are hard copy publications, to my knowledge).

Most of those are:

1. Persian Turkmen

2. Arabic Turkmen

3. Russian Turkmen (field research conducted by linguists from Oriental Studies Institutes of the
... See more
Greetings.

Are you refering to (1) the Turkmen (as spoken in N central / NW region of Iraq) or (2) national language of Turkmenistan?

If (1), there are very few such bilingual dictionaries or glossaries around (all are hard copy publications, to my knowledge).

Most of those are:

1. Persian Turkmen

2. Arabic Turkmen

3. Russian Turkmen (field research conducted by linguists from Oriental Studies Institutes of the Academy of Sciencesof the former USSR.

I can ask friends in the Iraqi Turkmen families resettled here in southern Calfornia if you need assistance with spcific terms or expressions.

Ditto for Azeri and Uzbek, although Russian is much stronger as their L2 than English.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:25
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks for the reply Oct 23, 2005

Hi Stephen,
The Turkmen language in Central Asia. Though I would be interested if there were any Iraqi Turkmen resources also just to know. Are there any hardback maybe from Iraq from Iraqi Turkmen to English?
Thanks, any suggestions on book titles would be welcomed.
regards,
Alp Berker

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 12:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
Turkmen (Iraqi variant) - English Oct 23, 2005

Greetings.

Thank you for your note.

Glad to help as I can. I'll ask my Iraqi Turkmen friends about any references they have at hand or which they can suggest.

If no publications are apparent, they are available to answer your questions on troublesome terms and expression, within their abilities.

You might also contact the

Department of Ural-Altaic Languages
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana, USA

Du
... See more
Greetings.

Thank you for your note.

Glad to help as I can. I'll ask my Iraqi Turkmen friends about any references they have at hand or which they can suggest.

If no publications are apparent, they are available to answer your questions on troublesome terms and expression, within their abilities.

You might also contact the

Department of Ural-Altaic Languages
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana, USA

During the 1990s, that department of IU, under contract to the U. S. Peace Corps, conducted extensive field research -- developing bilingual language guides, textbooks for basic language training and related dictionaries / glossaries -- on national languages of Central Asia / Eurasia, including (IIRC) those of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Azerbaijan. The publications resulting from that research which I have seen were very robust, detailed and pedagogically sound.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English - Arabic,
Kurdish and Persian)
San Pedro, California
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Turkmen to English resources, dictionaries

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »