Thread poster: Wolfgang BRECH
Wolfgang BRECH
Wolfgang BRECH  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
German to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2005

Hi all,

Does anybody know how to generate German Umlauts on a laptop?
Have tried "Control Panel", regional settings, keyboard etc.... no cigar.
I could use : "All programs", accessories, System Tools, Character Map....too cumbersome.
Googled....nothing.
I use the "ALT + XXX" on my PC's number pad. By now, I know all the functions by heart and it goes fairly fast.
I suppose, I could attach my PC keyboard to my laptop, but that defeats the purpose when
... See more
Hi all,

I could use : "All programs", accessories, System Tools, Character Map....too cumbersome.
Googled....nothing.
I use the "ALT + XXX" on my PC's number pad. By now, I know all the functions by heart and it goes fairly fast.
I suppose, I could attach my PC keyboard to my laptop, but that defeats the purpose when I travel...

Any bright ideas out there?

TIA,

Wolfgang Brech
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
umlaut Oct 25, 2005

Wolfgang BRECH wrote:

If you've added German to the language bar:

ü = [ (key next to the letter P)
Ü = shift + [
ö = ;
Ö = shift + ;
ä = ' (key for single quote)
Ä = shift + '

[Edited at 2005-10-26 04:45]

pidzej
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:31
Polish to English
+ ...
use Word keyboard shortcuts Oct 26, 2005

The good thing about them shortcuts is that what it basically a single combination of keys works with all sorts of umlauts and accents: for umlauts, press Ctrl + : (i.e., Ctrl + Shift + ; ), release the control and shift keys, press a, o, u, i, even y. for uppercase umlauted letters, just add Shift in stage two. the same works with the apostrophe for regular accented letters and with the tilde key for accente-graved letters
HTH

[Edited at 2005-10-26 08:32]

[Edited at 2005-10-
... See more
The good thing about them shortcuts is that what it basically a single combination of keys works with all sorts of umlauts and accents: for umlauts, press Ctrl + : (i.e., Ctrl + Shift + ; ), release the control and shift keys, press a, o, u, i, even y. for uppercase umlauted letters, just add Shift in stage two. the same works with the apostrophe for regular accented letters and with the tilde key for accente-graved letters
HTH

[Edited at 2005-10-26 08:32]

[Edited at 2005-10-26 09:01]
Collapse

ulysem (X)
ulysem (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:31
English to German
+ ...
alternative Oct 26, 2005

just press strg, shift (on the left) and : at the same time, and then a, o or u shortly afterwards... there you go.

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 01:31
German to English
+ ...
More options Oct 26, 2005

Using the numerical keypad, press Alt+129 for ü, Alt+132 for ä, Alt+148 for ö, Alt~154 for Ü, Alt+142 for Ä and Alt+153 for Ö. I found this out a while ago and it's particularly useful for writing emails where the other options suggested don't work.

pidzej
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:31
Polish to English
+ ...
fine, but... Oct 26, 2005

Pat Jenner wrote:

Using the numerical keypad, press Alt+129 for ü, Alt+132 for ä, Alt+148 for ö, Alt~154 for Ü, Alt+142 for Ä and Alt+153 for Ö. I found this out a while ago and it's particularly useful for writing emails where the other options suggested don't work.

with a notebook, the built-in numerical keypad is not so much an option as a pain in the youknowwhat. besides, with the shortcut I referred to above you just need to remember the combination of Ctrl + one of the three signs: the colon for umlauts, the apostrophe for accents and the [`] key for accente grave, followed by the letter proper, not dozens of Alt numbers separately for upper and lower case. try memorizing also the values for Finnish, Turkish and Hungarian characters! OTOH, this only works in Word, not in mails or on this page

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German Umlauts on Laptop

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »