Thread poster: Carolyn Brice

Carolyn Brice  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:22
French to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2005

Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my library, and would like a DE-EN-DE dictionary in law, economics, business, financial etc. subjects. I've seen the Dietl/Lorenz one, which is a bit expensive, and is even more expensive in CD-ROM version, which would have been great!
Can someone tell me if this is a good one, or if they use anything else. CD-ROM dictionaries are prefereable of course!

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:22
French to English
+ ...
German Legal Dictionary Nov 12, 2005

Hi. I specialize in legal translations, and can recommend a relatively inexpensive German-English and English-German dictionary of legal terms. I picked it up this summer at a bookstore in Berlin for 13 euros. It is entitled "Rechtsenglish" and is by Gerhard Kobler, published by Verlag Franz Vahlen GmbH in Munich. The ISBN no. is 3 8006 3192 X, and you may be able to get it on the web at www.beck.de.

Viel Spass!

xxxIanW
Local time: 03:22
German to English
+ ...
Hamblock and Wessels Nov 13, 2005

Arguably the best German to English business dictionary around - and I've heard this confirmed by experts at a recent conference - is Hamblock and Wessels' "Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch". Given that it's a business dictionary, it won't cover law in great detail, but apart from that, I'd say it's indispensable for business, economics and (general) finance.

Hope this helps!

Australia
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 13, 2005

Thanks to both of you for your recommendations. I will certainly be investing in those.

Have a good weekend (or what's left of it!)

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:22
German to English
Nov 13, 2005

[Edited at 2005-11-13 20:38]

Australia
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the same one Nov 14, 2005

Hi Daniel,

Got your post about the Hamblock/Wessels Dictionary. This is a smaller one than the one Ian recommended, and 5EUR is its normal retail price, if you look at other online bookshops. The one Ian was talking about costs around 100EUR! But there is another one that costs 30EUR, which might be something to start with.

Carolyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for dictionary recommendations: DE-EN

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search