DIN standards?
Thread poster: mmeier
mmeier
Local time: 22:00
German to English
Jan 3, 2006

Does anyone know if it is possible to find the texts of DIN standards in the Internet? This is driving me crazy, because I have a translation that is almost word for word out of DIN 10 012!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
DIN standards? Jan 3, 2006

mmeier wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to find the texts of DIN standards in the Internet?

You can order them, and the translations where they exist (they haven't all been translated), at www.beuth.de. They are not cheap. Other bodies, such as the standards institutions of other countries, also sell them, possibly a little more cheaply.

Marc

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Can the translations of standards be standard? Jan 3, 2006

I guess that even if you buy a translation, you would not automatically acquire the right to copy and resell it, and you should ask for a permission from the copyright holder.

Apparently, despite their normative style and purpose, DIN and other standards are not public domain. This could almost create an oxymoron: it is not permitted to translate a standard in a standardized way. Just another case where safety and consistency might give way to private ownership.

[Edited at 2006-01-03 19:04]

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:00
German to English
DIN Taschenbuch 226 Jan 3, 2006

I don't think you can find the standard on the Internet, but it is included in the above-named volume ("Qualitätsmanagement und Statistik. Verfahren 3: Qualitätsmanagementsysteme"), ISBN 3-410-12761-5 for my edition; there may be a newer one. I don't recall what I paid for it, but the book was "relatively" inexpensive and has been useful over the years.

In the US you might try
http://www.schoenhofs.com/
I've ordered from them when I've needed things in a hurry, and they've sent the books via overnight delivery.

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Clarification Jan 3, 2006

Luca Tutino wrote: Apparently, despite their normative style and purpose, DIN and other standards are not public domain. This could almost create an oxymoron: it is not permitted to translate a standard in a standardized way. Just another case where safety and consistency might give way to private ownership.

I really don't see a contradiction between "normative style and purpose" and the fact that the standards are not "public domain". Like most standard-setters all over the world, DIN is a private body. It makes money by selling the standards. Although DIN *does* get some public money, it's by no means enough to cover its operating costs, which is probably a good thing because otherwise it could be open to political interference.

The same applies to standard-setters in many industries as well, such as the IASB and FASB for accounting standards.

I think the fact that DIN and DIN standards are of such high quality and are so widely respected and used throughout the world is testimony to the fact that the private-sector model works just fine.

Robin

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
any standard (EN, DIN, ASTM) Jan 6, 2006

costs money. So if you need to do a DIN 10012 translation, let's say to English, I would (gulp) go and buy online the English translation
(probably available from beuth or from
http://www.cenorm.be/catweb/cwsen.htm or
(!) http://webstore.ansi.org
)

and just fire up your OCR program ...

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2006-01-06 13:31]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DIN standards?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search