Book title translation/Traducción de títulos de libros
Thread poster: picko924
picko924
Local time: 22:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a website where you can find the translation of the titles of fiction books from English>Spanish eg. Dead Babies by Martin Amis = Niños Muertos de Martin Amis?

¿Alguien me puede recomendar una página web donde se encuentran los títulos de libros de ficción en inglés traducidos al español eg. Dead Babies by Martin Amis = Niños Muertos de Martin Amis?

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcela Robaina Boyd  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
librerías Jan 10, 2006

Creo que el mejor lugar sería buscar en las librerías o editoriales famosas. Estas suelen permitir buscar por nombre del autor, si el libro está en castellano, podrás tener el título.
Por ejemplo, Amazon, B&L, Alfaguara, Planeta, etc.
Espero que esta sugerencia te sirva.
Marcela

Try library catalogues Jan 10, 2006

Why don't you try catalogues of some of the major libraries, i.e. Library of Congress, Libraries of the University of California, the Spanish/Mexican etc. national libraries (you can find the exact names on the web and their sites). They would have multiple copies and in various langauges and would have catalogued the books accordingly.

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 14:15
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What I usually do is... Jan 10, 2006

I use Google in the target language and look for the original book title, putting it inside quotes. For example, to find the name of the book "Stupid White Men" in Portuguese, I go into Google.com.br, type in the title in quotes and choose "páginas do Brasil". This will give me enough results so that I can look through the RELIABLE ones and verify what is the translated title being used for such audience.

Good luck!

Ana Fernandez  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:15
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
página del ISBN Jan 10, 2006

No sé si es exactamente lo que buscas, pero yo, además de las posibilidades ya aportadas, suelo consultar la página del Ministerio de Cultura del ISBN donde puedes buscar a partir del nobmre del autor, título, traductor...

Es la siguiente:
http://www.mcu.es/bases/spa/isbn/ISBN.html

Monica Nehr
Local time: 18:15
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
ya usaste el Jan 10, 2006

librodot.com
además de saber como se llaman podés bajarte algunos cuentos

¿Alguien me puede recomendar una página web donde se encuentran los títulos de libros de ficción en inglés traducidos al español eg. Dead Babies by Martin Amis = Niños Muertos de Martin Amis?[/quote]

picko924
Local time: 22:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias/Thanks Jan 10, 2006

Muchas gracias por todas las sugerencias
Many thanks for all your suggestions

Björn Houben  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:15
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
a little late, but still Jan 24, 2006

Unesco has an official site for this, the Index Translationum

The Index Translationum is a list of books translated in the world, i.e. an international bibliography of translations.

The database contains cumulative bibliographical information on books translated and published in about one hundred of the UNESCO Member States since 1979 and totalling more than 1.500,000 entries in all disciplines : literature, social and human sciences, natural and exact sciences, art, history and so forth. It is planned to update the work every four months.

http://databases.unesco.org/xtrans/xtra-form.html

Searching for the example you gave, I got the following results:

(tip: under 'Word(s) from original or translation Title', use one word only in 1 box (there's 3 boxes))

5 records found in Index Translationum database
If some characters don't display properly, click here to use an embedded font (slower)

1/5
Amis, Martin: Surnud lapsed [Est] / Kati Metsaots / Tallinn: Olion, 2000. 262, 2 p. ENG: Dead babies
2/5
Amis, Martin: Martwe dzieci [Pol] / Zbigniew Batko / Poznań: Dom Wydawniczy Rebis, 2000. 284 p. ENG: Dead babies
3/5
Amis, Martin: Niños muertos [Spa] / Marta Heras / Barcelona: Anagrama, 2002. 286 p. ENG: Dead babies
4/5
Amis, Martin: Poupées crevées : roman [Fra] / Jean-François Ménard / Paris: Gallimard, 2001. 393 p., jaquette ill. ENG: Dead babies
5/5
Amis, Martin: Poupées crevées [Fra] / Jean-François Ménard / Paris: Gallimard, 2003. 393 p., couv. ill. ENG: Dead babies

[Edited at 2006-01-24 10:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book title translation/Traducción de títulos de libros

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search