https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/41778-oxford_english_dictionary_free_till_1_feb.html

Oxford English Dictionary - free till 1 Feb
Thread poster: sergey (X)
sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Local time: 18:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

go www.oed.com, then click on 'bbc balderdash and piffle' to bypass having to enter 'name' and 'password'.

enjoy!

ps
oed - OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY for the uninitiated

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-01-25 13:04]

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:15
English to Polish
Thanks a lot, Sergey! Jan 25, 2006

sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oh, initially Jan 25, 2006

the title was 'oed - free till 1 feb' as you all might have expected, but now, that it has been edited, my entry looks really silly with 'oxford english dictionary' mentioned twice - not only in the title, but also written with capital letters ...
lovely ...

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 19:15
French to English
+ ...
Balderdash and piffle Jan 25, 2006

Looked like a great show. I got to see the first episode when I was at my parents' over Christmas, but I'm now away from the UK, so I haven't seen any more of it.

sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, it's quite good ... Jan 25, 2006

Timothy Barton wrote:

Looked like a great show. I got to see the first episode when I was at my parents' over Christmas, but I'm now away from the UK, so I haven't seen any more of it.

i've missed the first 2 or 3 episodes.
was it 'invasion' that i watched instead? which looked quite promising at first? and disappointing the more i watched it afterwards? can't remember now.

i liked the informality of the 'balderdash and piffle' programme on bbc2. apparently, anyone can approach 'oxford english dictionary' and challenge any of its entries, providing there is printed proof of a word's etymology, usage, meaning etc., which i thought was great.

that's the way any dictionary should be - in constant flux of change and improvement. after all, any dictionary is only an attempt to take a 'snapshot' (registering it on paper or electronic media) of a language at a particular time of its existence. a snapshot that is always incomplete.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Oxford English Dictionary - free till 1 Feb

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »