https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/4193-systran_and_daimler_chrysler.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Systran and Daimler-Chrysler
Thread poster: williamson (X)
williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 11:48
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2002

An interesting link about M.T. can be found at: http://www.systransoft.com/Technology/DaimlerChrysler.html

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
It shows what automatic translation is good for... Jul 27, 2002

I mean... a good laugh !

They have probably translated the site with their software - the French version is.... !!!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-27 19:58 ]

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 04:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Spanish version is not better Jul 27, 2002

Incredible that they dare to show this kind site in the Net.

Dinorah

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I looked at the German version Jul 27, 2002

and I still do not know, if I shall laugh or better cry .

Jerzy

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
I looked at the French and the German version... Jul 27, 2002

Affreux, fürchterlich, horrible...

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:48
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The author is a PhD! Jul 27, 2002

Ms. Flanagan might be an expert \"on applications of translation technology for colloquial text and holds a Ph.D. Computational Linguistics\" but I wouldn\'t trust a translation to her!

And they are spending lot of money in the project!

Monica Colangelo
Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would you care to see what I've just done? Jul 28, 2002

Gentlemen:

In connexion with the job posting appearing on your web page, let me tell you I have read you Spanish version ... time and again, but failed to make either heads or tails of it! Spanish is my native tongue; I have been a professional translator for 26 years and have never ever come across such a bad piece.

However, it is very inspiring. Next time one of my prospective clients asks me to use a CAT tool, such as Systran, I\'ll advise them they\'d better a
... See more
Gentlemen:

In connexion with the job posting appearing on your web page, let me tell you I have read you Spanish version ... time and again, but failed to make either heads or tails of it! Spanish is my native tongue; I have been a professional translator for 26 years and have never ever come across such a bad piece.

However, it is very inspiring. Next time one of my prospective clients asks me to use a CAT tool, such as Systran, I\'ll advise them they\'d better ask my cat. (You just have to click on my link below to find him). Plus, I might even direct them to your Spanish site. No need for further comments. They will realize immediately what the consequences would be.

Please excuse my frankness. I do not mean to be offensive, just fair. Translators who use CAT tools often offer lower rates. Decision makers are pretty glad to save, but they do not realize the fatal consequences a poor translation may have in certain fields like medicine, veterinary, architecture or engineering, to name but a few.

Sincerely,

Mónica Colangelo

Legal, Literary & Tech/Sci. Translator

www.proz.com/translator/25014
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
German to English
+ ...
Frightening! Jul 28, 2002

Sorry that I don\'t completly share your disgust, but for me this is frightening.

I agree that compared to a human translation it is absolutely sub-standard, but compared to the gobbledegook, other machine translation systems produce, this is EXCELLENT, because it makes sense over long stretches. The reader can comprehend, what the original text wants to say. And it would be possible to rewrite it.

Having worked recently on the translation for a 100,000
... See more
Sorry that I don\'t completly share your disgust, but for me this is frightening.

I agree that compared to a human translation it is absolutely sub-standard, but compared to the gobbledegook, other machine translation systems produce, this is EXCELLENT, because it makes sense over long stretches. The reader can comprehend, what the original text wants to say. And it would be possible to rewrite it.

Having worked recently on the translation for a 100,000 words machine translation dictionary, I know too well that machines will for a long time will not completely replace the human translators, but as we experience it already with CAT systems and TMs, which have completely taken away my bread and butter business of the 1980s (car and motor cycle service and user manuals), in a not too far future the human translator will be degraded to a proofreader, whose task it is to brush up the machine translation and make decisions at points, where the machine cannot judge or makes a wrong judgement.

The result? As with CATs, which have reduced the value of my work by around 70% (you know the percent rules - 100% full pay, otherwise reduced by.... - for CAT translations imposed by the agencies), the same amount of text output will create less and less income for the human translator than now.

Most standard texts are earmarked to be taken away from us as translation work, leaving just literature, subtitles or other specialized texts. And here translators in the industrialized countries face the competition from translators in low cost areas as well. Internationalization of competition through the Internet will heat up.

So, don\'t be too optimistic - it can become a hard landing. The future is not rosy.

How long are people working seriously on machine translations? 30 years, 40 years? Just considering the last 3 to 4 years, the improvements are stunning, and the pace seems to be accellerating.

My guess is that we will be safe for the next 10 to 20 years, but...that is not for granted.
Collapse

Leonardo Parachú
Leonardo Parachú  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Has any of you sent a text to translate? Jul 28, 2002

I have. The translation was available instantly. It was a short piece from \"Volpone\" by Ben Johnson. I had a good laugh really. It came out with words in English, words in Spanish, all tangled...

If you´re in for a laugh do it. Just send a short text to translate.

Regards.

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beam me up, Scotty Jul 28, 2002

I agree: consider this:

Data width MIPS

Year

8080 1974 6,000 6 2 MHz 8 bits 0.64

Year

Pentium 4 2000 42,000,000 0.18 1.5 GHz 32 bits 64-bit bus ~1,700

and have a look at this

http://www.howstuffworks.com/dna-computer1.htm

---

In the 70ies, I was a Star-Trek
... See more
I agree: consider this:

Data width MIPS

Year

8080 1974 6,000 6 2 MHz 8 bits 0.64

Year

Pentium 4 2000 42,000,000 0.18 1.5 GHz 32 bits 64-bit bus ~1,700

and have a look at this

http://www.howstuffworks.com/dna-computer1.htm

---

In the 70ies, I was a Star-Trek fan. The people, who starred in Star-Trek used some funny devices: A wireless telephone, a universal translator, a transporter-beam.

I remember my father calling these things dreams and rubbish. Tell me: who does not have a wireless telephone today? The transporter beam is far away, but the very first test in that direction has been done. As for the universal translator: have a look at etaco.com. It is a first step.

In a Star-Trek movie of 1984, Mr.Spock spoke to a Macintosh computer. He was used to machines answering him. I do not know whether this gave some people in the Low-Lands by the name of Lernout and Hauspie (now taken over by Dragon), the idea to develop speech-technology?

In 1984 you were considered a weirdo if you wanted to give up a secure job at a bank and work for the local outlet of a software company called Microsoft.

In 1980, I had never heard of Trados.

A graduate at the school for T&I, who worked at \"Eurodicautom\" taught us how to use this databank and talked about an MT-system called \"Systran\". The weird thing was that nobody used Eurodicautom. The computer connected to it stood idle. Everybody sat in the library bowed over dictionaries and considered me a weirdo because I sat before a computer screen from dawn till dawn till dusk. Finished my graduation paper a year earlier.

Evolution in technology does not stop.

So those who jumped on translation because they saw it earned more money than let say journalism might be forced to return to their former profession within 10 to 15 years.

When I look at the pictures most of you are in their 30s, full of enthusiasm about translation. Some have arrived at translation because they decided to go to a T&I-school and are certified and some have chosen the profession because they rolled into it, others by opportunism (because it earns more than a daily job).

Could all those enthusiasts answer the question: where will this profession stand in 2012 (when you are in your 40ies), 2022 (when you are in your 50ies) and 2032 (when you will retire) given the evolution of technology? What if it has become a mere proofreading profession?

The esteem (and hence payment) and understanding of the general public of the profession is not too bright right now. How do you think that you, the proofreader will be viewed?

Who of us will still be a translator in 2012?

Collapse

Hans Gärtner
Hans Gärtner  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Surprising Jul 28, 2002

Agree with Hans-Henning. I have checked the Spanish translation of the document and it had a surprising quality for a MT text.

The Spanish sentences, full of errors, were nevertheless syntactic. And that is more than any other MT system I have known accomplishes.

This system is able to translate \"properly\" written service manuals, requiring only a low intensity human editing and proofreading.

<
... See more
Agree with Hans-Henning. I have checked the Spanish translation of the document and it had a surprising quality for a MT text.

The Spanish sentences, full of errors, were nevertheless syntactic. And that is more than any other MT system I have known accomplishes.

This system is able to translate \"properly\" written service manuals, requiring only a low intensity human editing and proofreading.

Hans

Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
M.T.and C.A.T Jul 28, 2002

Studied this year with a bunch of engineers. They do not want a perfect text, but a text that makes sense to them. Often there are people in-house (certainly at Daimler-Chrysler) who know the target language and the subject well enough to proofread and adapt the text for internal company needs. I use systran myself. You get a rough idea of what is meant. Then it boils down to polishing up that idea and put it in the right phrases. Combine M.T.and CAT and you can work a lot faster.

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Who knows? Jul 28, 2002

One of my clients sends me texts for proofreading that have been written in (not translated into) Spanish by English native speakers. Sometimes they are good enough, but most of the time they are not. The Spanish translation obtained by this machine looks like one of these not so good texts.

The text, for a linguist, is a horror. There are many things that were only understandable for me because I speak English, and others are not understandable at all. By the end of the tex
... See more
One of my clients sends me texts for proofreading that have been written in (not translated into) Spanish by English native speakers. Sometimes they are good enough, but most of the time they are not. The Spanish translation obtained by this machine looks like one of these not so good texts.

The text, for a linguist, is a horror. There are many things that were only understandable for me because I speak English, and others are not understandable at all. By the end of the text there are a lot of personal pronouns in uppercase (ÉL, ELLA) I could not make head or tails of. I checked out the English and I found the machine had translated IT (Information Technology) as a personal pronoun.

But then, who knows? I\'m not going to dismiss the possibility of these things replacing us some day. I have seen too many things predicted in sci-fi coming true to do that. On the other hand, when my dad was a kid there were these magazines that predicted that in the year 2000 everybody would use solar-energy cars and there would be colonies in Mars. Now, in 2002, the solar-energy car is a joke and we cannot even send a probe to Mars that does not break down two days later.

Williamson, you may be interested in reading this article: http://ssdoo.gsfc.nasa.gov/education/just_for_fun/startrek.html

written by a NASA scientist about how accurate the Star Trek science is. I liked what he says about the Universal Translator... There is always hope he\'s right

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-28 21:09 ]
Collapse

Andreia Silva
Andreia Silva  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And the Portuguese version.... Jul 28, 2002

NO COMMENTS!

Andreia Silva

Portugal

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Warp drive... Jul 29, 2002

First: I am not stating that Star Trek is reality. It is indeed a view of the creator of the series and the scenario-writers as to how it may be within 300 -400 years from now (time-frame in which the series is set is 2300-2450)

Many here laugh at M.T. as it is now.

They cite examples based upon present knowledge!!

With what pc.and word processor were you working in 1990? Right: probably WordPerfect 5.0 and a 386 or 486 Intel-Processor, perhaps with Trados 1.0.... See more
First: I am not stating that Star Trek is reality. It is indeed a view of the creator of the series and the scenario-writers as to how it may be within 300 -400 years from now (time-frame in which the series is set is 2300-2450)

Many here laugh at M.T. as it is now.

They cite examples based upon present knowledge!!

With what pc.and word processor were you working in 1990? Right: probably WordPerfect 5.0 and a 386 or 486 Intel-Processor, perhaps with Trados 1.0.

What I am trying to say is: how hard will you laugh in 10 or 20 years (the time most of you will have to exercise this profession before they can retire) given the technological evolution and AI.

A useful link on how about an idea can evolve into reality

hhtp://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/PAO/html/warp/

warpstat.htm

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Systran and Daimler-Chrysler

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »