https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/4318-promt_machine_translation_russian_how_good_is_it.html

ProMT Machine translation (Russian) - how good is it?
Thread poster: williamson (X)
williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 07:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2002

Just a question to the Russian community: How good is ProMT and how do you think it will evolve given that it is an ongoing project. It is not perfect, but does it convene meaning? How good is the translation: a rough idea or an approach. Syntax failures or not.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Below is an example of translation done with Promt Aug 3, 2002

I took several sentences from ProZ info page (to see Cyrillics properly, please set Cyrillic Win-1251 encoding in your browser).

Source text:

Have a job but not the right person to do it? You will find ProZ.com useful. Post the requirements of your job on this site, and service providers will be notified immediately. They\'ll contact you directly. Jobs posted on ProZ.com are \'smart\', and coordinate outsourcer-requirements with translator-prerequisites. A job is s
... See more
I took several sentences from ProZ info page (to see Cyrillics properly, please set Cyrillic Win-1251 encoding in your browser).

Source text:

Have a job but not the right person to do it? You will find ProZ.com useful. Post the requirements of your job on this site, and service providers will be notified immediately. They\'ll contact you directly. Jobs posted on ProZ.com are \'smart\', and coordinate outsourcer-requirements with translator-prerequisites. A job is selectively routed to a small, targeted group of users based upon information in their profiles.

Translation:

Èìåéòå ðàáîòó, íî íå ïðàâèëüíûé(ïðàâûé) ïåðñîíàæ, ÷òîáû äåëàòü ýòî? Âû íàéäåòå ProZ.com ïîëåçíûì. Ïåðåíåñèòå íåîáõîäèìûå óñëîâèÿ âàøåé ðàáîòû íà ýòîì ìåñòîîáèòàíèè, è ïîñòàâùèêè óñëóã áóäóò óâåäîìëåíû íåìåäëåííî. Îíè âîéäóò â êîíòàêò ñ Âàìè ïðÿìî. Èîâû ðåãèñòðèðîâàëè íà, ProZ.com \'øèêàðí\'(\'ñèëåí\'), è êîîðäèíèðóþò outsourcer-íåîáõîäèìûå óñëîâèÿ ñ ìåòîäèêîé îáó÷åíèÿ òðàíñëÿòîðà. Ðàáîòà âûáîðî÷íî íàïðàâëåíà ê ìàëîìó, öåëåíàïðàâëåííàÿ ãðóïïà ïîòðåáèòåëåé, îñíîâàííûõ íà èíôîðìàöèþ â èõ ïðîôèëÿõ.

Without the source text I would not understand what is this all about.

Moreover, Promt is \"great\" in translation of quite simple texts:

Source:

Hello, how are you?

Thank you very much, I am fine, and you?

Translation:

Ïðèâåò, êàê - Âû?

Áîëüøîå ñïàñèáî, ÿ ïðåêðàñåí, è Âû?

My opinion: Promt is good enough when you use it as a dictionary; it is practically useless as a translation tool, as too much work is needed to correct (read: redo) the translation.
Collapse

Milana_R
Milana_R
Local time: 22:09
Russian to English
+ ...
I absolutely agree with Natalie Aug 4, 2002

The time spent on completely rewriting the translation, would be greater than translating the piece anew - as evident from her examples.

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
You need to have dictionaries for each topic. Aug 4, 2002

These dictionaries are sold separetely.

They can greatly improve the quality.

You will also need to enter a glossary for each text before starting translation.

After couple hours of setup it can give some text toedit it further. Usually the issue is wrong order of words.

Can help sometimes if you are good at editing the text and too lazy to type it. Sometimes it saves time when used with something like wordfast.

You will de
... See more
These dictionaries are sold separetely.

They can greatly improve the quality.

You will also need to enter a glossary for each text before starting translation.

After couple hours of setup it can give some text toedit it further. Usually the issue is wrong order of words.

Can help sometimes if you are good at editing the text and too lazy to type it. Sometimes it saves time when used with something like wordfast.

You will defenitely need to use some translation memory with it.

New Promt XT gives very good quality and has rudimentary translation memory inside.

For professional results you\'ll need lots of editing.

Good dictionary is included.

Very challangable software but definitely the best English-Russian machine translation tool we tried.

Just be careful with it and make a good glossary then you can save a lot of time.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
To Arterm Aug 4, 2002

Having good glossaries, one will save a lot of time using NOT Promt, but some CAT tool. And the results will be much, much better.

Expert2003 (X)
Expert2003 (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
ProMT "quality" Aug 6, 2002

Hello Mr. Williamson,

ProMT translates in \"word-by-word\" manner,

ignoring all grammar rules. It is very bad translator. Believe me, I am a native Russian and an expert in En-Ru/Ru-En translation evaluation. My opinion that ABBYY Lingvo v 8.0 (En-Ru-En dictionary with phrases translation support)has better performances, though it doesn\'t translate entire text at all. The resume is that Russians still did not produce satisfactory machine translator so far. It\'
... See more
Hello Mr. Williamson,

ProMT translates in \"word-by-word\" manner,

ignoring all grammar rules. It is very bad translator. Believe me, I am a native Russian and an expert in En-Ru/Ru-En translation evaluation. My opinion that ABBYY Lingvo v 8.0 (En-Ru-En dictionary with phrases translation support)has better performances, though it doesn\'t translate entire text at all. The resume is that Russians still did not produce satisfactory machine translator so far. It\'s understandable since Russian economy is in ruins...

Contact me if you really need support in translation into Russian. I am looking for cooperation with native English speakers to create a strong team which would provide quality both En-Ru and Ru-En translation by

mutual editing by native language speakers.

Regards,

Yuri (Expert2003)

Quote:

On 2002-08-03 07:30, williamson wrote:

Just a question to the Russian community: How good is ProMT and how do you think it will evolve given that it is an ongoing project. It is not perfect, but does it convene meaning? How good is the translation: a rough idea or an approach. Syntax failures or not.

Collapse

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:09
English to Russian
+ ...
never use computer translation in Russian! Aug 8, 2002

My opinion: computer translations into Russian may be used for only one purpose: for having fun! Every translated sentence is a joke!

Monika Martens
Monika Martens
Italian to Albanian
+ ...
In memoriam
Not a good idea... Aug 8, 2002

Using Promt is not a good idea at all.

If you ve\'got a simple text and want to know what does it mean, Promt will give you an idea, probably not the very exact meaning, but still..

But if you want to use it for professional translations.. - waste of time!

Anatoly Zolotkov
Anatoly Zolotkov
Canada
Local time: 01:09
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Let me disagree… Aug 25, 2002

Nevertheless… Let’s try to understand the purpose of ProMT and other machine translation tools. These tools are not designed as a replacement of a human translator. Their main purpose is to give an idea of the meaning of a text in a source language to a person who does not have any idea about the source language. And ProMT (and other machine translation tools) works pretty well. They give an idea.

Anatoly Zolotkov
Anatoly Zolotkov
Canada
Local time: 01:09
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Let me disagree… Aug 25, 2002

Nevertheless… Let’s try to understand the purpose of ProMT and other machine translation tools. These tools are not designed as a replacement of a human translator. Their main purpose is to give an idea of the meaning of a text in a source language to a person who does not have any idea about the source language. And ProMT (and other machine translation tools) works pretty well. They give an idea.

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
PROMT IS NO GOOD STUFF Aug 26, 2002

My experience is similar: Natalie\'s examples speak for themselves. My \"best\" example was a loan agreement (GER-RUS) I once was to translate. After dragging it through PROMT, it looked like it was an agreement on selling some machinery or equipment.

For example:

\"Kreditsicherheit\"= \"ïàðà öèëèíäðîâ\" . I got nearly mad afterwards while re-ed
... See more
My experience is similar: Natalie\'s examples speak for themselves. My \"best\" example was a loan agreement (GER-RUS) I once was to translate. After dragging it through PROMT, it looked like it was an agreement on selling some machinery or equipment.

For example:

\"Kreditsicherheit\"= \"ïàðà öèëèíäðîâ\" . I got nearly mad afterwards while re-editing and having to retype the text almost in full. Absolutely no sense in the translation. I got the impression that the developers just took one or more dictionaries, linked them to the program (without any regard to the subjects concerned) and make good money out of a nearly completely useless tool.

PROMT may be the best into-Russian tool available. But this wouldn\'t naturally mean that it\'s a good one as such. So to say, the best out of the crap available.

Thank God, I was lucky enough to be able to test it for free and did not waste money on purchasing it. Keep calm and forget about it!

Salem

Steffen

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-26 12:19 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProMT Machine translation (Russian) - how good is it?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »