Thread poster: spanruss
spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 13:16
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

On preliminary investigation, I see that Mosby and Torres offer their respective medical dictionaries in the $300 range. I'll spend that if necessary, but would like to know if the extra money is worth it, since both Stedman's and Dorland's versions are under $100. I've used Stedman's before and consider it to be okay, but I would actually hope for something much more comprehensive. Any ideas?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-03-01 14:29]

Claire Thomas
Claire Thomas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:16
English
+ ...
dictionary Mar 3, 2006

I purchased 3 in La Librarie Francaise in Rockefeller Center in NY.

Claire Thomas
[email protected]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Sorry to get a bit off-topic here, but... Mar 3, 2006

Claire, I am not sure if you really want to post your personal e-mail address on this thread (or in any other one, for that matter). Besides it being available to all prozians, anyone surfing the net will be able to use it. IMHO, it is the best way to expose yourself to spam, scams, phishing, and other nasty things.

If you do not want to post the names of the dictionaries you bought, you can ask spanruss to contact you via your profile e-mail. In this way no one that you do not want
... See more
Claire, I am not sure if you really want to post your personal e-mail address on this thread (or in any other one, for that matter). Besides it being available to all prozians, anyone surfing the net will be able to use it. IMHO, it is the best way to expose yourself to spam, scams, phishing, and other nasty things.

If you do not want to post the names of the dictionaries you bought, you can ask spanruss to contact you via your profile e-mail. In this way no one that you do not want to will have access to your e-mail address. Just a suggestion!
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Roche Medical Dictionary Mar 4, 2006

by Urban & Schwarzenberg.

The Spanish edition, by Ediciones Doyma, S.A., costed me about $50, and I've never regretted buying it.

isbn 3-541-11212-3

Regards

spanruss
spanruss
United States
Local time: 13:16
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Names of dictionaries? Mar 10, 2006

CThomas wrote:

I purchased 3 in La Librarie Francaise in Rockefeller Center in NY.

Claire Thomas
[email protected]

Claire,
Could you please tell me the names and/or authors of these dictionaries, so that I can see if they can be purchased over the internet?

Myriam S
Myriam S  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Medical dictionary by Onyria Herrera McElroy and Lola L. Grabb Mar 11, 2006

In addition to the Torres, which is more extensive and therefore more expensive, I have used the second edition of
the Spanish-English dictionary by Onyria Herrera McElroy and Lola L. Grabb ISBN 0-316-55448-0. Reasonably priced.

You can find or oder just about anything you need in foreign languge resourse and materials from a book store in Boston, MA. They are considered "America's 2nd Oldest Bookstore, Importer of Foreign Lang
... See more
In addition to the Torres, which is more extensive and therefore more expensive, I have used the second edition of
the Spanish-English dictionary by Onyria Herrera McElroy and Lola L. Grabb ISBN 0-316-55448-0. Reasonably priced.

You can find or oder just about anything you need in foreign languge resourse and materials from a book store in Boston, MA. They are considered "America's 2nd Oldest Bookstore, Importer of Foreign Languages and Literatures"
www.schoenhofs.com

It's like a candy store for lingusits. If you are in another state and cannot physically go to their bookstore they will be helpful on the phone.

A good resource for medical questions, besides medical dictionaries, is the web page MedlinePlus Health Information. Most physicians and other health care providers I have worked with use it extensively, it is both in English and Spanish.
Collapse

Myriam S
Myriam S  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Price for McElroy and GRabb Medcial English-Spanish Dictionary Mar 11, 2006

Apperantly it even comes with a CD ROM
Here's the price from Schoenhof's web page

BOOK DETAIL

Herrera McElroy, Onyria & Grabb, Lola L.
Spanish-English, English-Spanish Medical Dictionary. Diccionario Médico Español-Inglés, Inglés-Español (Third Edition) (Book & CD-ROM)
(Lippincott Wiliams & Wilkins) 2005 paperback. 795pp.
Illustrated.
ISBN: 0781761700
$59.95

Angel_7
Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
French to English
+ ...
Purchasing dictionary you mention Mar 14, 2006

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

by Urban & Schwarzenberg.

The Spanish edition, by Ediciones Doyma, S.A., costed me about $50, and I've never regretted buying it.

isbn 3-541-11212-3

Regards

Edwal, do you know how you could go about purchasing this dictionary on the Internet?

Sarah

Phil Bird
Phil Bird
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
US Spellings only Aug 15, 2008

Myriam S wrote:

You can find or oder just about anything you need in foreign languge resourse and materials from a book store in Boston, MA. They are considered "America's 2nd Oldest Bookstore, Importer of Foreign Languages and Literatures"
www.schoenhofs.com

It's like a candy store for lingusits. If you are in another state and cannot physically go to their bookstore they will be helpful on the phone.

A good resource for medical questions, besides medical dictionaries, is the web page MedlinePlus Health Information. Most physicians and other health care providers I have worked with use it extensively, it is both in English and Spanish.

I have this dictionary, one thing that may be an issue for some people is that it only gives US spellings, which may be a problem for some people.

I bought it for around £30 from amazon.co.uk with the CD-ROM

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info needed on: Affordable but good Spanish medical dictionaries

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »