Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:40
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
installation language Apr 2, 2006

I hope you will include English as an installation language or am I the only one here who cannot read Japanese? If you plan your tool be used only by the Japanese translators, then no problem.

Toshiya Kazuyoshi
Japan
Local time: 00:40
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
English can be choosed for installation language Apr 2, 2006

Isometry has installation languages of English and Japanese, though the screen shot is Japanese.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree Apr 2, 2006

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
I hope you will include English as an installation language or am I the only one here who cannot read Japanese?

I agree. I think your app is telling me that I don't have dotnet 2.0 installed, but I don't know how to check which version is installed on my computer anyway.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Installer only in Japanese Apr 2, 2006

finitefield wrote:
Isometry has installation languages of English and Japanese, though the screen shot is Japanese.

The version I downloaded from the English web site, has only a Japanese installer. The installer gives me no choice to choose English (unless of course, it says "Choose English" in Japanese somewhere...).

Good to have another cat on the block

Toshiya Kazuyoshi
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Updated with English Installer Apr 4, 2006

Thank you for telling me what the problem is, that is,
problem in installation in the previous forum.
Isometry itself could be installed in both English and
Japanese, but Microsft .NET Framework 2.0 Installer was in
Japanese.
I did not know that.
I think I have solved that problem.
If the problem still exists, let me know.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments on Isometry Apr 4, 2006

finitefield wrote:
I made a CAT software.
http://finitefield.web.fc2.com/index_en.html

I installed Dotnet 2.0 on Windows XP and gave Isometry a spin. Here are five preliminary comments:

1. You must have developed this program on a very large monitor. The "Create New Project" dialog is wider than my screen, and although I can resize it, its contents remains where they are, so that the buttons aren't visible on the resized dialog window.

2. I can't seem to add more than one file to a translation project.

3. I can't seem to change the project details once it has been created. For example, I can't add new TMs or new glossaries after the project has been created. All exiting TMs and glossaries must be added at project creation time.

4. How do I export my translation? If I use "Save Translation", I get a two-column tab delimited file with both source and target. If I use "Save Target", I get an empty file with lots of spaces in it.

5. I can copy source to target using Ctrl+8, but there should be a setting in which the user chooses to always have the source copied to the target.

Samuel

Toshiya Kazuyoshi
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your Suggestions Apr 5, 2006

Thank you for your suggestions.
I applied some of them and uploaded as v1.0.3.
I'd like to reply.

1. I made it smaller in v1.0.3.

2. Isometry does not accept more than one source file.
I see that a potential of reading a plurality of source files is desirable, but it takes a few days to program. If adding source file to the bottom of the current Source is enough, I'd like to do it. But not enough, I'll program.

3. Changes can be made. Select [Terminology]-[Add/Remove Terminology] or [TM]-[Add/Remove TM].

4. Use "Save Target". I think you did not translate at all. Isometry contains blanket informtion of spaces and returns. When exporting target, that is restored. So you got a lot of spaces.

5. I made it in v1.0.3.

I really appreciate your comments.
I'd like to improve my application to make it more useful.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some more comments Apr 6, 2006

finitefield wrote:
2. Isometry does not accept more than one source file. I see that a potential of reading a plurality of source files is desirable, but it takes a few days to program. If adding source file to the bottom of the current Source is enough, I'd like to do it. But not enough, I'll program.

Come to think of it, it isn't really a problem. Every CAT tool works differently.

3. Changes can be made. Select [Terminology]-[Add/Remove Terminology] or [TM]-[Add/Remove TM].

I have discovered that, yes. You have an "Add" button, why not also have a "Remove" button? At the moment, to remove a file, I have to click to the left of it, and press Del on my keyboard.

4. Use "Save Target". I think you did not translate at all.

Does "Save Target" keep paragraphs intact? Or does it place every sentence on a separate line?

==

I have made a quick overview of Isometry for myself, here:
http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/isometry

I have just realised that when my computer is in online mode, then I can read the help files in the little browser. Why not simply have the help files available in the download package? The help files are hosted on your web site, but there's no link to it on your main page. The help files are here:
http://finitefield.web.fc2.com/isometry/help_en.html

It would have been a lot easier if I had known about the help files at the start (I didn't realise that they were launched in that little browser). It would make sense if the help files were simply available off-line and were launched in the user's own web browser, I think.

You'll also need to rename quite a few of your English buttons... they don't currently use the "normal" or "usual" English wording (eg you use "Change" for the "OK" or "Apply" button, and you use "Reference" for the "Browse" button).

==

One complaint I have is that when I press Ctrl+9, it updates *all* instances of the glossary in the current segment. Sometimes I need to keep certain words untranslated, but Ctrl+9 causes all glossary words to be translated.

It would be nice if Isometry could insert the glossary items using a keyboard shortcut or some other short way.

Toshiya Kazuyoshi
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Apr 8, 2006

"Save Target" keep paragraphs intact.
There's a link to the help page on my main page, [Isometry Help].
I enclosed the help pages in v1.0.4 so that the help can be seen off-line.
I changed the program to keep certain words untranslated. You can set these words by setting Score low.
Isometry can insert the glossary items using a keyboard shortcut, such as [Ctrl] + [Num 1].

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Software: Isometry

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search