Looking for Spellchecker (better than that of MS Office 2003)
Thread poster: Alex Boladeras
Alex Boladeras  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 03:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 7, 2006

Hi!

I was wondering if there's a spellchecker more powerful (i.e. better) than the one that comes with MSOffice 2003, as I find the latter a bit unreliable.

Thanks!
Alex

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-07 17:13]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What's wrong with your current one? Apr 7, 2006

Alex Boladeras wrote:
I was wondering if there's a spellchecker more powerful (i.e. better) than the one that comes with MSOffice 2003, as I find the latter a bit unreliable.

What's wrong with your current one? Does it mark words as errors even if they're not errors, or does it mark words as non-errors even though they are errors?

If the former, then all you need to do is to supplement the main spelling dictionary with some more words (try finding a Scrabble word list for your language).

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not Scrabble! Apr 7, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:
If the former, then all you need to do is to supplement the main spelling dictionary with some more words (try finding a Scrabble word list for your language).

A supplement to the main spelling dictionary could be useful, but a good Scrabble word list would definitely be harmful for the same reason that the complete OED would make a terrible spelling checker: when your spelling checker has available too many words, a lot of typos will not flagged because they happen to be the correct spelling of come obscure and long obsolete word; for example, if you type "euge", you do want your spelling checker to flag it as a probable typo for "huge", not accept it because there is such a word in the OED (and in the acceptable Scrabble word lists) ("euge: from the Greek - an explanation of approval or commendation [first quote from 1655, last from 1798]).

Even if you meant to write "euge", you are better off with your spelling checker flagging it, so that you can accept it manually, than for the spelling checket to accept it uncritically - together with who knows what.

Trevor Butcher
Local time: 20:15
English
I want one too Apr 8, 2006

I think that the spelling checkers are quite amazing for what they are - but I could use one where I could swop easily between dictionaries with different subject-based word lists, one that you could create new or expand old dictionaries quickly from a customer's text that I have just checked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Spellchecker (better than that of MS Office 2003)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search