What is the best Project Management Software?
Thread poster: Rocío Cordero
Rocío Cordero
Rocío Cordero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
English to Spanish
Apr 7, 2006

Hi!

I'm looking for a good PM Program. On the basis of your own experience, which software would you recommend? I know there is a Microsoft product called Microsoft Project, but I don't know if it is useful for translation agencies or if there are better options in this field.
I am wondering if anybody has used the software and would be willing to share experiences.

Thank you very much!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-07 18:04]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What is the best .... motor car, pain reliever, beer, place for a holiday...??? Apr 7, 2006

In other words, what do you want to do with it?

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
From personal experience Apr 7, 2006

In our company, we use Flow (produced by beetext : www.beetext.com)

It works well.

Nina

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 11:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
MS Project = bloated and unsuitable for small businesses Apr 7, 2006

Greetings.

May I suggest that you not consider and invest in MS Project as PM application for a small business.

I have beta tested and used several versions of MS Project, most recently the 2003 edition.

Assessment: For purposes of PM in a small business firm, that software is overloaded with a number of unnecessary features, plus it's a "memory hog" to install and a "time vampire" to run (with apologies for mixing metaphors).

I understand tha
... See more
Greetings.

May I suggest that you not consider and invest in MS Project as PM application for a small business.

I have beta tested and used several versions of MS Project, most recently the 2003 edition.

Assessment: For purposes of PM in a small business firm, that software is overloaded with a number of unnecessary features, plus it's a "memory hog" to install and a "time vampire" to run (with apologies for mixing metaphors).

I understand that several other producvt are available for PM of the relatively-few projects typically handled by a small business firm.

More useful, IMPO, is a good contact manager software, on the order of "ACT" and variants.

Hoper this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English Arabic,
Kurdish and Persian
dba Middle East Services Group
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Rocío Cordero
Rocío Cordero  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 7, 2006

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

In our company, we use Flow (produced by beetext : www.beetext.com)

It works well.

Nina

Thank you Nina! That's what I wanted, your opinion based on your personal experience.

[Edited at 2006-04-07 23:31]

Thank you Stephen! Your suggestion is a guide for me...

[Edited at 2006-04-07 23:38]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:29
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Projectex 2006 Apr 9, 2006

I may not be exactly qualified to recommend this software because I have never used it, as I am only a freelance translator, not an agency, but I am a fan and user of their other product Translation Office 2000 which has greatly simplified my non-translation related chores. So I would suppose that their Projectex 2006, which is specifically designed for agencies, would be equally useful.

Here is the link to their product. You could c
... See more
I may not be exactly qualified to recommend this software because I have never used it, as I am only a freelance translator, not an agency, but I am a fan and user of their other product Translation Office 2000 which has greatly simplified my non-translation related chores. So I would suppose that their Projectex 2006, which is specifically designed for agencies, would be equally useful.

Here is the link to their product. You could check it out yourself:

http://translation3000.com/accounting_software_for_translators/project_management_software.htm
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best Project Management Software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »