Thread poster: Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Local time: 04:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2006

Hello, I interpret at a church and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good Spanish/English bible glossary or dictionary, either as a book or software? I prefer Latin-American Spanish and U.S. English. Thank you in advance! -Heather

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-04-17 17:31]

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 17, 2006

I'm interested in the same type of glossary. If you find one before I do, could you please let me know?
Thanks.
[email protected]

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure! Apr 17, 2006

Denise DeVries wrote:

I'm interested in the same type of glossary. If you find one before I do, could you please let me know?
Thanks.
[email protected]

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
web resources Apr 17, 2006

Here is a website that will help you find the same verses in English and Spanish. Even though it isn't a glossary, at least you can compare the verses.
http://www.wordproject.org/search2/bi_en_sp.htm

This other one gives t
... See more
Here is a website that will help you find the same verses in English and Spanish. Even though it isn't a glossary, at least you can compare the verses.
http://www.wordproject.org/search2/bi_en_sp.htm

This other one gives the equivalent verse in simple Spanish.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20John%203:16&version=57

Good luck.
Collapse

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful resources! Apr 17, 2006

Thank you, these links are great, I just wish I'd had them for the conference over the weekend!

Marna Renteria
Marna Renteria  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Looking for similar resource, too... Apr 17, 2006

I do interpretation at church, too, and my pastor and I also work together to help translate district letters, and sometimes I chip in to help with translating the church magazine and the church Sabbath school lessons.

I would like to find something similar to what you are looking for. Except, I would like a glossary of "Church lingo". For example, I wonder if others also have asked themselves what is the best Spanish rendering for the following:

FELLOWSHIP: There is a
... See more
I do interpretation at church, too, and my pastor and I also work together to help translate district letters, and sometimes I chip in to help with translating the church magazine and the church Sabbath school lessons.

I would like to find something similar to what you are looking for. Except, I would like a glossary of "Church lingo". For example, I wonder if others also have asked themselves what is the best Spanish rendering for the following:

FELLOWSHIP: There is a debate between "hermandad" and "comunión". And, when did "fellowship" begin to be used also as a verb? Is "tener comunión" a good translation?

WITNESS: This can have a unique meaning in Christianity depending on context. "Evangelizar"? It's not quite the same, is it?

ACCOUNTABLE/ACCOUNTABILITY: There does not seem to be a Spanish word that exactly correlates to the Christian concept of this term, but we always use "responsable/responsabilidad".
Collapse

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd like a "church lingo" glossary as well Apr 17, 2006

Please let me know if you find one as well. As far as the terms you mentioned, I havent' come accross "acountability" yet, but we use different terms than you mentioned for the other two. For "witness" we use "testificar" and for "fellowship" we use "compañerismo". I've been a part of 2 spanish-speaking congregations and we used the same terms 2 at both.

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
French to English
Also interested Apr 18, 2006

Hi!

If such a glossary also exists in French/English I would be very interested too, although I think that the next thing on my list before I interpret for my church again will be to learn all those tricky O.T names in French and English...

Have a nice day.

Kathryn

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tough OT names Apr 18, 2006

Yes, the OT names are tough. There are a lot of types of bible/christianity glossaries/dictionaries that would be helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for: Spanish/English bible glossary or dictionary

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »