Beta testing new terminology resource: Wikiwords.org
Thread poster: Colin Brady

Colin Brady
Local time: 22:10
SITE STAFF
Apr 17, 2006

Hi Everyone,

ProZ.com has been working on a new terminology resource called Wikiwords.org. We are currently looking for new participants to help beta test it.

If you are interested, please email me at colin at proz and I will authorize your ProZ.com account as a Wikiwords beta tester.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Colin

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxdf49f
France
Local time: 02:10
wikiwords Apr 17, 2006

Hi Colin
I'm not sure I understand what this is about...
but as I tried to take a look at your site, I found this site also called wikiwords:
http://www.wikiwords.com/
And it also sounds so much like wiki...pedia, that it's almost misleading...
Can you tell us more?
dominique

Colin Brady
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
More info... Apr 17, 2006

df49f wrote:

Hi Colin
but as I tried to take a look at your site, I found this site also called wikiwords:
Can you tell us more?
dominique

Hi Dominique,

Wikiwords is a collaborative project to create a dictionary of all terms in all languages. It is located at www.wikiwords.org, not www.wikiwords.com.

Best Regards,
Colin

Roxana Cortijo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Doubt Apr 19, 2006

Could you explain me what a "Wikiwords beta tester" does?

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 20:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
About Wikis... Apr 19, 2006

df49f wrote:

Hi Colin
Can you tell us more?
dominique

Wikiwords.com is not a website per se, if you click on the link, it takes you to an ad for domain registration. Apparently, someone bought the domain name, but hasn't done anything with it and intends to sell it (?).

Anyway, as Colin points out, Proz.com's project is WikiWords.org not .com

About sounding like Wikipedia: "wiki" is originally from Hawaiian (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please), and it has come to mean a project with content that can be edited by its users, just like Wikipedia.

In fact, they do a better job than me of explaining it:

==================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikis

A wiki (IPA: [ˈwiː.kiː] or [ˈwɪ.kiː] [1]) is a type of website that allows anyone visiting the site to add, to remove, or otherwise to edit all content, very quickly and easily, sometimes without the need for registration. This ease of interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for collaborative writing. The term wiki is a shortened form of wiki wiki which is from the native language of Hawaii (Hawaiian), where it is commonly used as an adjective to denote something "quick" or "fast" (Hawaiian dictionary).

==================

Hope that helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beta testing new terminology resource: Wikiwords.org

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search