https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/45411-announcing_wikiwordsorg_a_project_to_create_a_dictionary_of_all_terms_in_all_languages.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Announcing Wikiwords.org! A project to create a dictionary of all terms in all languages.
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:34
SITE FOUNDER
Apr 20, 2006

We are proud to announce Wikiwords.org, a new project to create an open, multilingual lexicon of all terms in all languages.

Sound ambitious? It is. But if anyone can do it, the ProZ.com community can. After all, we have already created an archive of over a million KudoZ terms (which as far as we know, represents the largest member-built g
... See more

We are proud to announce Wikiwords.org, a new project to create an open, multilingual lexicon of all terms in all languages.

Sound ambitious? It is. But if anyone can do it, the ProZ.com community can. After all, we have already created an archive of over a million KudoZ terms (which as far as we know, represents the largest member-built glossary in existence.) Add to that the three million or so personal glossary entries members have uploaded over the past five years, and it is clear that our collaborative community is capable of producing impressive results.

Now, we are setting out to take a step up to a new level, and to build something truly great for everyone in the world who loves language.

If you would like to help build a term resource that is easy-to-use, free, and open to all, we invite you to join other translators and enthusiasts in building Wikiwords.

Today marks the first day that Wikiwords is available to the general public. If you are interested, please use your ProZ.com username and password to log in at http://www.wikiwords.org and check it out.

Enter some terms. Do some translations. Import your ProZ.com glossaries. It is a first pass, so we await your suggested improvements! Just as importantly, please be sure to pass along news of the new project to anyone you know who would be interested.

Wikiwords.org - all terms, all languages. Built by you. See you there!
Collapse

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 23:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Finally! :) Apr 20, 2006

Thanks, Henry (and all the guys who make this community possible).

Ever since I saw the banner ad for WikiWords about... two weeks ago (?), I've been waiting impatiently for its release.

This is just one of the many things that make ProZ the best translation community. It makes me extremely happy to be a tiny part of it.

Cheers & congratulations!...
See more
Thanks, Henry (and all the guys who make this community possible).

Ever since I saw the banner ad for WikiWords about... two weeks ago (?), I've been waiting impatiently for its release.

This is just one of the many things that make ProZ the best translation community. It makes me extremely happy to be a tiny part of it.

Cheers & congratulations!
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Awesome! Apr 20, 2006

I will not get into all the possibilities of this new alliance, but let me just say that they are ENDLESS!

I went and tried it out and am crazy about the concept.

I can't wait for the final unveiling of this project - it is beta now, so some functions don't work. But when they will, this will be an amazing resource for many of us - and maybe even some nice publicity...

I wish my entries stayed there - there is a note on the page saying that the entries we m
... See more
I will not get into all the possibilities of this new alliance, but let me just say that they are ENDLESS!

I went and tried it out and am crazy about the concept.

I can't wait for the final unveiling of this project - it is beta now, so some functions don't work. But when they will, this will be an amazing resource for many of us - and maybe even some nice publicity...

I wish my entries stayed there - there is a note on the page saying that the entries we make during the beta testing phase may be removed when the project takes definite shape... Try it all the same!

Great idea! Thanks!
Collapse

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Oops Apr 20, 2006

Tried to open it in Opera... couldn't go beyond the first page. Had to use IE.
Looked into the source -- some fancy scripts, activeX, JS -- why? What for? Get rid of it, please. That's not the wiki way. Keep it simple, and you will be rewarded.

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
A question Apr 20, 2006

Henry, could you define how are the concept and purpose of Wikiwords different from those of Wiktionary?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Unique aspects of Wikiwords Apr 20, 2006

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

Henry, could you define how are the concept and purpose of Wikiwords different from those of Wiktionary?

Good question. I can not speak authoritatively about the objectives behind Wiktionary. However, I can imagine the following make Wikiwords different:

- We made Wikiwords from the ground up specifically for the purpose of building a collaborative lexicon. I am not aware of any other such project. (Wiktionary uses the same software as Wikipedia, which I understand was made to manage encyclopedic articles).
- ProZ.com is a community of professional translators. Our perspective will be unique.
- There will be a connection between KudoZ and Wikiwords, each benefitting from the other.
- Our project will give a high level of credit to contributors (I find the level given in other projects inadequate.)
- We intend to partner broadly. (I am told the Wiktionary community has exhibited some bias against partnering at the institutional level.)
- The professional, collaborative culture of our KudoZ community is unique. No two communities are alike.

In the end, my view is that a collaborative dictionary is possible, and who better than us to create it? Language is, after all, our profession.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
French to English
A suggestion and a question Apr 20, 2006

The suggestion: Under "Contributor"/"source" (depending where you are), you appear to have taken the name of the person who posted the entry in the KOG. My issue with this (as indeed with the kudoz search results listing, but that's a side issue) is that you are crediting the entry to the person who DIDN'T know what the term meant, and NOT the person who provided the answer, i.e. the person DID know what the term meant. It strikes me that this is slightly peverse.

The question: Are
... See more
The suggestion: Under "Contributor"/"source" (depending where you are), you appear to have taken the name of the person who posted the entry in the KOG. My issue with this (as indeed with the kudoz search results listing, but that's a side issue) is that you are crediting the entry to the person who DIDN'T know what the term meant, and NOT the person who provided the answer, i.e. the person DID know what the term meant. It strikes me that this is slightly peverse.

The question: Are you intending to apply any selection criteria or filtering to the kudoz terms you load into this new site, or are you just gonna take the lot, warts 'n' all?

[Edited at 2006-04-20 22:34]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite, Charlie Apr 20, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

The suggestion: Under "Contributor"/"source" (depending where you are), you appear to have taken the name of the person who posted the entry in the KOG. My issue with this (as indeed with the kudoz search results listing, but that's a side issue) is that you are crediting the entry to the person who DIDN'T know what the term meant, and NOT the person who provided the answer, i.e. the person DID know what the term meant.

That's not quite right. The person who entered the term can be the asker or the answerer. But one possibility is giving credit to both.
The question: Are you intending to apply any selection criteria or filtering to the kudoz terms you load into this new site, or are you just gonna take the lot, warts 'n' all?

Our thought for now is that filtering will happen within Wikiwords, not at the door. We'll see how it goes.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
French to English
I stand corrected Apr 20, 2006

Henry wrote:

That's not quite right. The person who entered the term can be the asker or the answerer. But one possibility is giving credit to both.

Yup, of course, I was forgetting, in theory either the Asker or the Answerer can enter the term in the KOG. It's just that in my admittedly restricted (a single language pair) experience, I don't recall ever seeing an Answerer do so.

Notwithstanding that procedural correction, I would contend that my initial point still stands, and that it would be more logical, if only one person is to be mentioned to credit the Answerer than the Asker, whoever actually entered the term in the KOG.

(As indeed it would in the KOG listing itself, where the expertise and knowledge of the selected Answerer is, IMVHO, much more useful than knowing who entered the term, but let's not drift off-topic, I just thought I'd mention it)

[Edited at 2006-04-20 23:19]

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 23:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
A similar Wiki project... Apr 21, 2006

Henry wrote:

- We intend to partner broadly. (I am told the Wiktionary community has exhibited some bias against partnering at the institutional level.)

This reminded me of a website I visited recently:

http://home.unilang.org/wiki3/index.php/Main_Page

It's the Wiki project of Unilang, which is a linguistic community.

I don't know much about it or how it operates exactly (haven't had time to browse it), but I thought I'd mention it anyway, as a point of interest...

What exactly do you mean by partnering?

Thanks.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:34
Catalan to English
+ ...
Credit Apr 21, 2006

"Notwithstanding that procedural correction, I would contend that my initial point still stands, and that it would be more logical, if only one person is to be mentioned to credit the Answerer than the Asker, whoever actually entered the term in the KOG.

(As indeed it would in the KOG listing itself, where the expertise and knowledge of the selected Answerer is, IMVHO, much more useful than knowing who entered the term, but let's not drift off-topic, I just thought I'd mention it )"
... See more
"Notwithstanding that procedural correction, I would contend that my initial point still stands, and that it would be more logical, if only one person is to be mentioned to credit the Answerer than the Asker, whoever actually entered the term in the KOG.

(As indeed it would in the KOG listing itself, where the expertise and knowledge of the selected Answerer is, IMVHO, much more useful than knowing who entered the term, but let's not drift off-topic, I just thought I'd mention it )"

Couldn't have put it better myself, Jeeves, Splendid, old chap.
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
French to English
Navigator problems Apr 21, 2006

Henry
Don't seem to be able to enter Wikiwords with either Firefox or Opera.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Barnaby Apr 21, 2006

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

Henry
Don't seem to be able to enter Wikiwords with either Firefox or Opera.

I have noticed the problem this morning--authentication is spotty. Colin will look at it when he arrives.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A very laudable effort Apr 21, 2006

I uploaded a largish math glossary (English to Hindi), but the Hindi terms are all appearing as junk. It seems Wikiwords does not yet support Unicode. Juggling with the browser encoding did not resolve the problem either.

Hope that this will soon be corrected.

May_L
May_L
Local time: 11:34
English to Thai
No option for Thai language Apr 21, 2006

It was exciting to see how it looked. Unfortunately, I could not find one for Thai language. Just wonder why.

May L.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing Wikiwords.org! A project to create a dictionary of all terms in all languages.

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »