https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/47081-french_english_english_french_dictionnary.html

French-English/English-French dictionnary
Thread poster: Cordial
Cordial
Cordial
Local time: 13:10
French to English
May 11, 2006

Hello all,

I have recently gone free-lance, but my main dictionnary is outdated. What would you suggest? Is the new Harrap's any good?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Hello Cordial May 11, 2006

I use the Robert & Collins Senior (2 volumes) and am quite happy with it. I have always used R&C. Personally I would not recommend Harraps.

Bonne chance!

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Dicos May 11, 2006

I too use the RC Senior and find it very good - though heavy and bulky.
For the simpler stuff I have the Grand Dictionnaire Hachette-Oxford loaded on my computer so it's much quicker to look stuff up. I do find that they are less accurate than RC though, so when I'm not 100% about something I'll cross-reference it elsewhere.

Cordial
Cordial
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 12, 2006

Thanks a lot, I see most people here prefer the Robert & C.

I was on my way to buy the Harrap's (which isn't that bad right?).

Cheerio

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:10
English to French
+ ...
Another vote for Robert & Collins May 12, 2006

Hi Cordial,

I definitely vote for R & C.

I have been using it for years and love it, the presentation and all! I have tried using the Harraps a few times but I don't really like it, there's something about the presentation that doesn't make it very user-friendly somehow.

Just my opinion though, but agree with our colleagues who have responded earlier.

Bon courage!

Annerose MB
Annerose MB  Identity Verified

English to French
R & C May 12, 2006

I had purchased the 2000 edition (supposed to be a 2nd edition).

Is the 2005 edition (two volumes) really newer (updated ?) or does it just have a new cover and same content ?

Thanks.

Nancy Burgess (X)
Nancy Burgess (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:10
French to English
+ ...
C/R May 14, 2006

Another vote for the Collins/Robert, far superior to the Oxford Hachette 99% of the time. Very occasionally the Hachette will have better entries for industrial/technical terms, but not consistently so.

I've no experience of Harraps, but I know that most academic institutions in the UK recommend Collins/Robert above other French English dictionaries.

[Edited at 2006-05-14 11:03]

[Edited at 2006-05-14 11:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French-English/English-French dictionnary

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »