Thread poster: Conrado Portugal

Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 05:36
German to Spanish
+ ...
May 16, 2006

Dear colleagues,

Maybe this subject has been discussed already. Anyway, I've just discovered Babylon 6 software (www.babylon.com)and I've downloaded the free 30 day trial version. At first glance, it looks amazing and a very good value for money. Are you guys using this software? Is it worth it buying it?

Cheers

Conrado

[Edited at 2006-05-16 18:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:36
Member (2004)
French to English
If you like it, use it! May 16, 2006

Hi Conrado,

I think people generally love it or hate it. I use Babylon 5, and find it very useful - especially with the Wikipedia links and encyclopedia searches. A few condescending comments have been made, but it's so easy to use - to check spelling, search for synonyms, information etc.... you're right, it's not incredibly expensive (although I don't know what they're charging for Babylon 6), and you can just add the plugins you actually think you might use.

Follow your instinct - if you like it, give it a go! I certainly don't regret it and recently renewed my subscription.

K

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:36
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Absolutely! May 16, 2006

I (and the family) have been using it for several years, and all of us concider it a must both for professional use and when writing an E-mail to our buddies.

True, it does not suggest alternatives nor return a translation if the input is mis-spelt. But the simplicity of its use and the conversion fascility is a true wonder.

Buy it!

Fernando Romero
Dominican Republic
Local time: 00:36
English to Spanish
A must-have tool. May 17, 2006

I have using Babylon Translator since version 2.2. I currently use version 5, and it´s my esential tool as a help for as a translator.

I really haven´t tried version 6 yet, but if you like it, and if it includes several other useful features. I suggest you to buy it. At the moment, I stick to my version 5, but the Babylon-Trados team is my faithful companion.

[Edited at 2006-05-17 19:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon 6... is it worth it?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search