https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/50816-using_trados_wordfast_with_indian_languages.html

Using Trados/Wordfast with Indian languages
Thread poster: Roy Chaudhuri
Roy Chaudhuri
Roy Chaudhuri  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:19
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 6, 2006

I would like to know if TM softwares like Trados/ Wordfast can be used with Indian languages like Hindi and Bengali.

Roy

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I use wordfast Jul 6, 2006

The usage of CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tools are limited for translation of south asian languages. But now the scenerio changes gradually because many translation agencies begin to put the use of CAT tools as an essential feature for their translation. TRADOS version 7 is compatible for Bengali and Hindi.
But this is not so popular here. The main cause, of course, the very high cost of the software(above 1000 euro). In comparison with TRADOS, Wordfast is cheaper. You can download
... See more
The usage of CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tools are limited for translation of south asian languages. But now the scenerio changes gradually because many translation agencies begin to put the use of CAT tools as an essential feature for their translation. TRADOS version 7 is compatible for Bengali and Hindi.
But this is not so popular here. The main cause, of course, the very high cost of the software(above 1000 euro). In comparison with TRADOS, Wordfast is cheaper. You can download its free trial version from proZ.com (go to tools -wordfast).

Work with CAT tools is a nice experience. Translator feels relieved from the monotonous feelings of translation. Its TM(translation memory) will give you relief to repeat the same line again and again.

To get the full activity of CAT, use the unicode fonts and processor.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Version 7 onwards, yes Jul 6, 2006

Trados/SDLX version 7 has full support for Hindi and other Indian languages. Earlier versions do not support Unicode and therefore not Hindi and other Indian langauges.

You need to work with unicode fonts if you will be using MultiTerm and if you need to build up a consistent TM.

Wordfast has been one step ahead in this matter and has been unicode compatible from, as far as I know, version 5 onwards. This means it supports TMs and glossaries in hindi and other Indian l
... See more
Trados/SDLX version 7 has full support for Hindi and other Indian languages. Earlier versions do not support Unicode and therefore not Hindi and other Indian langauges.

You need to work with unicode fonts if you will be using MultiTerm and if you need to build up a consistent TM.

Wordfast has been one step ahead in this matter and has been unicode compatible from, as far as I know, version 5 onwards. This means it supports TMs and glossaries in hindi and other Indian languages, provided the font used is unicode compatible.

[Edited at 2006-07-06 15:20]
Collapse

Roy Chaudhuri
Roy Chaudhuri  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
TM softwares with Indian languages Jul 6, 2006

Dear Bala,

Thanks for your reply. Do we need to have any special training in TM softwares to use it with Indian languages or just the help files which come with the software is good enough?

Also is there any training provided in India for these softwares?

Regards

Roy

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The manuals are enough Jul 6, 2006

I taught myself Wordfast, Trados and SDLX with nothing to go on but their manuals, though I don't claim to be an expert in any of these softwares.

I am sure you too can do the same. As far as training for these in India is concerened, I think online training courses with a certification at the end is available for Trados/SDLX, but it comes with a hefty price tag, something like $150 from my vague recollection.

But I think you won't need it. Just dowload trial versions o
... See more
I taught myself Wordfast, Trados and SDLX with nothing to go on but their manuals, though I don't claim to be an expert in any of these softwares.

I am sure you too can do the same. As far as training for these in India is concerened, I think online training courses with a certification at the end is available for Trados/SDLX, but it comes with a hefty price tag, something like $150 from my vague recollection.

But I think you won't need it. Just dowload trial versions of these softwares from their sites and their manuals. Get hold of some files to translate and work yourself through the softwares. It goes without saying that the more you use them in real situations the more expertise you gain in these softwares.

Another useful resource are the proz.com forums specific to these softwares. Just skim through the threads in these forums and you will pick up a huge haul of nuggets.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados/Wordfast with Indian languages

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »